Beatles Remasters
Mar 21, 2007 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mastercheif

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering, what are your favorite unofficial Beatles remasters? I see these Dr.Ebbets and Fabulous Sound Labs releases, and I was wondering how they sound. I have the Fabulous Sound Labs release of Rubber Soul and Beatles for sale, and some of the songs sound much better, but some are off.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 17
Ahhh yes - audiophile Beatle bootlegs. I don't know if this is kosher here.
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 17
I prefer Ebbets - Mono. With the stereo tracks, the vocals are in the right ear and the drums and guitars are in the left, or something like that as most of you already know. Once you go Beatles - mono, you can't go back. Someone once told me that the beatles even prefer this way and said it is the way it was meant to be listened, but take that with a grain of salt.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 17
The official remasters are just about to be released aren't they? I haven't bought a Beatles CD in twenty years so I'm all eager, especially if they sound like Love.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The official remasters are just about to be released aren't they? I haven't bought a Beatles CD in twenty years so I'm all eager, especially if they sound like Love.

Really? I hadn't heard that.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 17
As far as I know it was all done last year with the last hurdle being the Apple vs Apple trademark dispute resolved earlier this year. June 1st will be the 20th anniversary of the original CD releases and the powers that be want to meet that deadline. I won't bet my life on it but it all looks pretty good.

Edit:I don't recall if it'll be downloads available before the CDs. It's unknown if high-rez is going to be available. The organization has been surprisingly successful at keeping closed the usual loose lips.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The official remasters are just about to be released aren't they?

That yelp of surprise was my discovery of George Martin's hand in my wallet again. Having bought Let It Be ... Naked I'll be difficult to persuade this time around.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 17
I haven't purchased anything after the original CD releases so I don't feel exploited. Have the Beatles been very exploitative compared to other classic bands? How many times has David Bowie been reissued?! RCA, Ryko, EMI (and they all sound bad!) and I think he's out again with another reissue. The Doors are done again. The Beatles getting their first new mastering in twenty years isn't so bad in my book.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Yea, but Let It Be Naked sounded terriable, so my hopes arent to high for the quility of a offical remaster. Also, if these have anything to do with Apple (inc./computer), you know the releases will be made to sound good on 128kbps AAC, not for the Audiophile.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, but Let It Be Naked sounded terriable, so my hopes arent to high for the quility of a offical remaster.

I've never heard it. Did you hear the 24/96 DVD-A of Love? Pretty good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 17
I first listened to "let it be ... naked" at RMAF last year, running on Zu druid speakers through modwright gear. It was vinyl, and sounded absolutely wonderful. I don't know that I prefer it to the original, but it's totally different sans wall of sound. I would love to hear the remasters, if only because I'm so familiar with the originals. When I was 13, I listened to nothing but the Beatles all year. I've memorized over 100 songs, easy. I know every word, and every note. Remasters are fun for me.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm looking forward to the remasters. Many years ago, I owned the MFSL Beatles Original Master Recordings on vinyl, so I'm familiar with the original recordings.

Alas, the set was stolen, along with my MFSL Rolling Stones set, when my apartment was broken into. I was never able to replace those sets, as they were stricly limited quantities. Wish I still had them
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 17
These can't be discussed here, I expect the thread will be closed.

But yes, official real remasters are in the pipeline, within 6 months we'll see them.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 17
The concept the Beatles were going for in the Get Back sessions was to peel away all the layers of overdubbing and reverb and just present a raw, live performance. Neither Phil Spector's version, nor Let It Be Naked do a good job of representing that.

I heard a recording of an acetate given to Peter Sellers during the Get Back sessions, and it is incredible... raw, powerful and a clear example of brilliant improvisation and spontenaety. I wish they had just cleaned up the tracks the way the Beatles left them and released that instead of muddling about with digital reverbs and muffling the sound so badly.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back