Beatles:Japanese vinyl. What's the difference?
Jun 28, 2004 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering why Toshiba EMI vinyl versions of The Beatles are twice the price of standard EMI versions.

If they are sonically superior, how much better are they?

Jun 28, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Are you referring to the new EMI Japanese pressings?

From what I read on the vinyl board of www.audioasylum.com, the new Toshiba EMI LPs are taken from the 1987 digital remasters -- the same masters used to make the 1987 CDs. They have gotten very negative reviews. Here are Tuberoller's impressions from the vinyl sticky thread:

Quote:

Beatles Various titles (Toshiba-EMI Japan)-These new so-called "audiophile" pressings sound horrible. The "Help" release is probably the worst of the bunch but "Abbey Road" and "A Hard Day's Night" are almost as bad. The sounds is very bright and hard sounding and looking at the notes I learned that they were digitally remastered using very late generation tapes. At $40 a pop these are a real rip and I spent more on these than I'll ever admit to. Run away from these. Not recommended

The best Beatles LPs are apparently the English and German pressings. And you'll have to get those used on eBay.

Jun 28, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by evil-zen
try http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums

they are the experts on beatles vinyl.

Here are a bunch of threads from www.stevehoffman.tv/forums on Beatles LPs:

The Beatles "Best Pressings" list

Beatles Vinyl collecting: What are the first 10 to get?

Beatles shootout for Kipper!

Why do people spend good money collecting Capitol Beatles' albums?

The new Japanese Beatles LP's are cut from digital sources

If one reads through all of that info, one can form a general premise on which Beatles LPs sound best. UK and German pressings are generally held in very high regard (early Japanese pressings, as well) while US Capitol pressings are generally regarded as crap. It gets complicated because of the stereo vs. mono preference and the fact that so many pressings were made over the years in various countries.

Jun 28, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
Here are a bunch of threads from www.stevehoffman.tv/forums on Beatles LPs:

The Beatles "Best Pressings" list

Beatles Vinyl collecting: What are the first 10 to get?

Beatles shootout for Kipper!

Why do people spend good money collecting Capitol Beatles' albums?

The new Japanese Beatles LP's are cut from digital sources

If one reads through all of that info, one can form a general premise on which Beatles LPs sound best. UK and German pressings are generally held in very high regard (early Japanese pressings, as well) while US Capitol pressings are generally regarded as crap. It gets complicated because of the stereo vs. mono preference and the fact that so many pressings were made over the years in various countries.

WOW!!! I had no idea it was that diverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back