beamer recommendations/experiences wanted...
Dec 19, 2003 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
As it happens, I have to forget about working as a freelancer in Munich again, as I had originally planned - there are just not enough orders at the moment. So I've grasped the opportunity and took an editor job at "c't", which is the best renowned computer magazine over here (and my personal favourite, too). Unfortunately, though, they are not based in Munich like most other competitors, but in Hannover - so I've got to leave my beloved homeland Bavaria and my friends, parents et cetera... Not so easy for me, but on the other hand it might equal personal progress - whereas Munich at this time would mean stagnation at best.

However, while I really fear that I'll get very homesick, Hannover doesn't only mean better business opportunities - it's also quite a bit cheaper overall. That means I can afford a bigger place, too - and thus I'm already thinking about a beamer for my entertainment pc, if I can find a nice and quiet XGA (1024 x 768) model for < 2000 Euro. So far, I'm considering the Acer PD 520 (more info here: http://www.acer.de/acereuro/page4.do...crc=3435253493). Any comments? Recommendations? General considerations regarding DLP vs. LCD?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Encouragement concerning my move to Hannover would also be welcome...
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Be sure to check out the official Leibniz library while in Hannover...it is the Leibniz capital of the world!

Dec 19, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi lini! I was very confused when I read that you wanted a beamer for your computer - your title suggested to me you were shopping for a BMW. We usually call those things that project your computer's screen onto a flat surface a projector. If you can edit the title you might get more responses.

I've only been to Munich in Germany so I don't know how Hanover will compare but I am sure it will be fun. Congratulations on the new job, c't is quite a good magazine.

Dec 20, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 11
daycart1: Thanks for the hint - will do!

aeberbach: Oops, I wasn't aware of that - over here, we say "Beamer" or "Projektor", but as the latter could also refer to photo projectors (for slides) or overhead projectors, I usually say "Beamer". Oh, well, at least I'm aware that what we call "Handy" over here would be a cell phone for you...
wink.gif

As for the other "beamers", I already had my share (a 520, a 525e and a 325e (automatic)). Really fine engines and nice to drive in Summer - but not really that great for the snow season... And both parts and inspection costs are ridiculously high around here - even Mercedes is cheaper (and they even used to completely clean my good old 250/W123 in- and outside at the inspections for free...).
wink.gif

Concerning the title changes: Does that really work now? I used to think that the title would only be changed inside the thread, but not in the thread list...

Anyway: Projector recommendations/advice, anyone?
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Why on earth would a German be asking a board full of mostly Americans and Brits about BMWs? Oh, not THAT kind of beamer.

Sorry for the bad joke Lini, I think you should repost with the word "projector" in order to get the right people reading the topic, "beamer" only means the car to me.

Dec 20, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I've had a 1968 2000, a 1973 2002, and a 1973 Bavaria in my time (before they turned into over-priced German Buicks
tongue.gif
).

If we are discussing LCD projectors, I wound up last summer with a NEC VT460 for PowerPoint presentations. It was highly rated and there were good rebates available. In use it has been completely satisfactory.

Dec 20, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
Hey lini, how about a Sanyo Z2 or Panasonic AE500 which are both HDTV-resolution (1280*720)? Check areadvd.de for tests of both.

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for - primary use will be gaming, and thus I'd rather get something with XGA resolution, as I'd expect less problems with a standard computer format. Apart from that, both the Sanyo and the Panasonic would be interesting, though...

Old Pa: Thanks for the info. Are you happy with it? What about the noise level? I guess, I could try the VT560 (same thing in XGA instead of SVGA) - it's just a pity that these models don't have a DVI port, yet, which would be nice to have.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 20, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Old Pa: Thanks for the info. Are you happy with it? What about the noise level?

The VT450 works very well for my purpose. It is so quiet that I do not realize it has a cooling fan until when switched to standby the fan speeds up (and makes more noise) until it cools enough to shut down. The lamp is bright enough to use the lower power mode under normal office lighting.

Dec 20, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Old Pa: Good info - thanks a lot. And if you don't mind further questions: Have you already tried some moving pictures (games or movies), too? Did you notice any unwanted effects like tearing, for example?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 20, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Have you already tried some moving pictures (games or movies), too? Did you notice any unwanted effects like tearing, for example?

Only had time to use it for work (*sigh*) so far, so no other applications info. I keep meaning to try it with a DVD, but it has not happened yet. Unit was top rated by PC World magazine - I think the ZiffDavis website has a copy of the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back