Be patient with your 701's!
Sep 9, 2006 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43
It blows my mind how the 701's aren’t getting the respect they disserve on these forums...
rolleyes.gif

If I wasn't such a huge IEM fan I would stand tall and say that the 701s are the best headphones on the planet. Right now with about 3-4000 hours on mine. There’s absolutely, not a single negative thing I can say about them.

Now…there’s no way I could have said the same during initial burn-in. I’ve had moments with these things were I just wanted to toss them out the window. But boy am I glad I didn’t. Laugh all you want.. I’m telling ya these things take thousands of hours to burn in and start sounding like there meant to. The only thing that’s starting to worry me is how powerful the bass is becoming, and how much more power they need. My knob’s up almost 30% from day one and still rising. Yes both knobs.

Hopefully when the majority here put at least 1500 hours on them, hopefully then we’ll start seeing them get the respect they deserve. And until you atleast put this on yours, keep your comments to your self.
Not willing to wait this long..? Your loss; go sell’em to someone who deserve's them.

EDIT

Also, don't be scared to max your amp turning them into speakers now and then. There tough, they can take it. What doesn't kill them makes them stronger. Just make sure they're loose enough to take the abuse. Start with a smack upside the head, and work up to the bat.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 43
The guy I bought these from told me he used these as his main cans since January, so i assume they are well burned in passed 1000 hours. My Grados have their place, but very simply, the K701's make my favorite music sound phenomenal so far. They rock, they are detailed, they have soundstage- they are making me pretty damn happy right now.

However, I do think they do get a great deal of respect around here.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 43
Joke post?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
Hopefully when the majority here put at least 1500 hours on them, hopefully then we’ll start seeing them get the respect they disserve. And until you atleast put this on yours, keep your comments to your self.
Not willing to wait this long..? Your loss; go sell’em to someone who disserves them.

EDIT

Also, don't be scared to max your amp turning them into speakers now and then. There tough, they can take it. What doesn't kill them makes them stronger. Just make sure they're loose enough to take the abuse. Start with a smack upside the head, and work up to the bat.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 43
I asked myself the same question,
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 43
Overall, I'm happy with my K701 and I am glad that I bought them used. It's like free burn in service and you pay cheaper than new. Strangley, it's a great deal.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 43
As I've said before, there's something about the K701, even with burn-in for over 500 hours, that dissapoints me. They sound boring to me. It is true that they can handle pretty much every genre you throw at them, but "handling" isn't enough for me. I don't think that they're bad at all, but not good enough for my own ears.
I'm pretty certain that I've listened to them for over 1000 hours, after burn in while using them as well. And to say that you can't comment on them without that ridiculous amount of time is plain silly in my opinion.
Plus they're not as comfortable as you'd think. I know, because I tried wearing them for days.
tongue.gif

But be glad that you found a headphone that you can refer to as "best headphone on the planet", but for me they don't deserve this.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Overall, I'm happy with my K701 and I am glad that I bought them used. It's like free burn in service and you pay cheaper than new. Strangley, it's a great deal.

I also got mine used (with over 500 hours on them) and have been able to enjoy them from day 1. Are they done changing/burning-in? I dunno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
They sound boring to me.

I have heard this and similar before, and although their neutrality can lead to this conclusion for some, I find they have many other factors/qualities that make them anything but boring:
texture, presence, soundstage, timbre, tonality, sparkle, details, etc . . . . . these work to fascinate me, capture my attention, and add greatly to my enjoyment of the music . . .

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 43
Oh man, was I ever pissed when I bought the K701's. They were unbearable to listen to, highs were shrill, and anytime there was bass - it would just distort. After 100 hours, they became more bearable, then I played around with a few amps, and found one suitable for it, and now I couldn't be happier. I only have about 250-300 hours on mine, and they're still changing a bit, but always for the better.
I would honestly say these are the least boring headphones I've ever heard (And I've gone through most of the Grado line), the soundstage/imaging and the analytic nature of these headphones just makes me space out and concentrate immensely on the music. Very captivating.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
crazy_nate,
what amp did end you end up preffering?

LD2+

The tubes seem to work really well with it. There's been a few other threads on the ld2+ k501/k701 synergy.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 43
My 701's have been burned in about 3,500 hours. They are much improved from 500 hours. My only complaint was that the bass was much weaker then my recabled HD 580's. I recently purchased some Toslink glass fiber optical cables and the bass and everything else improved dramatically. Overall they are now almost as good as my SA5000's and many ways better than the
HD580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back