Be careful of sharks
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just read in the news that a woman was eaten alive by a shark in Maui. Whenever I go to the beach, I just walk to edge of the water and get my feet wet and that's it. Ya never know, if you go out swimming in the ocean, you could get your body ripped apart by a shark.

Yeah, I know the chances are on the slim side and probably won't happen but there is a shark out there lurking in the waters right now waiting for that moment to strike. 

May 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 21
More people are killed each year by getting crushed by vending machines than by shark attacks. True fact.

May 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 21
My cousin was attacked by a big tiger shark in Maui a few weeks ago while snorkeling with his kids. Tore up is arm and thigh pretty good. Fortunately he thought to punch it repeatedly in the part of its snout where it's particularly sensitive and got away.

May 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 21
That area in Maui where the body of a Kihei woman was found floating 200 yards off shore near Ahihi Kinau Bay last month is a popular surf and snorkeling spot we locals call Dumps. This isn't the first shark attack that has happened in this area and it won't be the last.Yes shark attacks can happen at any beach but it's not like the sharks are aggressively seeking out to attack people. I've been to and fished from the shores near Dumps many times, have seen large tiger sharks out there too. Most of the time they are way out far from shore and don't bother anyone. They do come in shore if they smell or sense a prey such as green sea turtles or monk seals that can also be found swimming in this area. Sharks have poor eyesight and have difficulty distinguishing a swimmer, snorkeler, or surfer from a prey. Anytime you enter the ocean, you're swimming in their home and running into sharks isn't ucommon.

May 12, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Dec 28, 2005 3 miles off shore from Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu while on a North Shore Shark Adventures tour, they encounter a 20' Great White. Great Whites are not commonly found around the waters surrounding the Hawaiian islands because it's too warm and there isn't any food source large enough to sustain them. They do make an appearance in and around the Hawaiian islands every once in a great while. This shark's length was almost as long the 24' tour boat. The Great White was cruising around and checking out the tour boat and shark cage for a good 20 minutes when one of the tour business owner (Jimmy Hall) jumps into the water, films and swims with the Great White.

May 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 21
Shark fin soup is banned in the state of Hawaii and in many other parts of the country. The importation and possession of shark fins is also banned and illegal in Hawaii since July 1, 2011. I've tried real shark fin soup prior to the enforcement of the ban, I thought it was ok nothing really special.

May 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 21
When I was a little kid, I had a real baby shark in a bottle.

I also made a list of over 6,000 species of fish (by hand, with paper and pencil!) when I was between six and eight years old.

May 12, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 21
  You have a lot of idle time when you were young. How many sheets of paper and pencils did you use?

Lots. No clue. Haha. I also did science experiments with a microscope, bacteria, and so on. I was a little genius!
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back