Be Aware of Shell Brook Lab
Mar 4, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #121 of 129
Was out on the Shellbrook site this afternoon looking for info on the Statement model. Came across this and thought it might be of interest.....

http://www.shellbrooklab.com/news.html

--------- Tom

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #122 of 129
just as drew promised ealier in this thread he said he would ship my amp
biggrin.gif

i got it and it sounds great. i would definately order from him again. just a great guy who had some problems
280smile.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #123 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by digicom_t1
Was out on the Shellbrook site this afternoon looking for info on the Statement model. Came across this and thought it might be of interest.....

http://www.shellbrooklab.com/news.html

--------- Tom

He linked to this thread. That's pretty up front imho. Also, this line was very interesting.

"I've consulted with business experts at Boise State University to establish a plan to reorganize and reestablish Shellbrook Audio Lab as an efficient, credible and trustworthy company."

Sounds like he's very serious about doing right by current and future customers to me.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #124 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by alea35
just as drew promised ealier in this thread he said he would ship my amp
biggrin.gif

i got it and it sounds great. i would definately order from him again. just a great guy who had some problems
280smile.gif

Ditto.

I got my amp a couple of weeks late. It sounds great - I really like it. The bass on my etymotic-6i's is much, much improved.

Thanks Drew!

Barry

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #125 of 129
I just noticed this thread and thought I would chime in with my experience ordering from Shellbrook Labs. Let me preface this by saying that I got my amp, it works fine, and I am not mad about anything, just annoyed at the way a few things went. All of this transpired in late Feb, after he implemented his 2 order/day policy.

•I ordered a Maxi Moy in late Feb 2005, I received no type of order confirmation other than my name showing up on the “Order Status” board.
•After 2-3 weeks, I e-mailed to see what the status was. I was told that the order page doesn’t really update correctly, and that my amp was being tested and set to ship in a few days.
•A few days went by and no change on the status board, he said it was still ‘testing’ and gave me the new ship date. I asked what type of AC adaptor I needed, and he informed me that he had several in stock that he would sell me, and that it would ship with my amp. I sent the money via paypal .
•When my amp arrived on March 7th, I immediately noticed that the interior seemed loose, when I picked it up the contents were clearly not secured. This didn’t seem right. I also noticed that there was no AC adaptor as promised.
•I sent Drew a note, he said they were out of the AC adaptors and that I would need to wait until more arrived. When I asked him about the fact that the amp was not secured, he said a piece of foam for the battery was likely missing, and that he would send one out to me with the AC adaptor. He apologized and accepted responsibility for the issues.
•Today, I am still waiting.

A few comments/suggestions FWIW:

•Drew did get back to me quickly when I e-mailed about the amp. He has yet to respond to my most recent query, but overall the communication seems good.
•The quality control gives me pause…how can you ship out a ‘tested’ amp that is missing contents?
•The total lack of any order confirmation/receipt is not good. I felt like I was sending money into a black hole, and hoping for the best.
•Having a ‘Status’ page that isn’t updated in a timely manner only compounds the communication problems.

I don’t think he will be take my money or anything, its just annoying not having any idea what the status of my order really is.

And as far as the quality of the amp goes…I give it a B-. Not much bass at all compared to the integrated amp I was using before to power the headphones from my PC. It will work better since it is much smaller in size, but the sound is so-so. I know I could try for a refund, but now the batteries are dead in the amp, and I am waiting for the AC adaptor. Until then, I have another source for my headphones. Once I get everything hooked up, I can make a choice whether to keep the amp or not. I will likely keep it though, it suits the purpose just fine.

That’s it…hopefully I will receive the remainder of my order soon.

-Eric

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #126 of 129
which amp did you buy?

I got the super mini moy and its great, after a few weeks im still on the original battery that was shipped with it
smily_headphones1.gif

only issue I had was a week delay I think, and the mini cable was different then the one I was offered.

thats only a minor quibble though IMO,

the super mini moy rocks. and is excellent with the Grados. Though, when I get some beyers, ill need to upgrade the amp, I took it to guitar center and it had problems driving the beyers then had there when I was auditioning. But its excellent with the Grados and shures.

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #127 of 129
Eric's AC adapter and foam "shim" are in the mail.

Regarding testing and missing parts: I don't know how other manufacturers do it, but when I test the amplifiers that I build, it's roughly an eight hour process using a noise CD, a function generator, an oscilloscope and several test loads. The amplifier is powered by a bench power supply at 24V, 18V or 9V, depending upon the amplifier. Once the testing is completed, I add the batteries, button the amplifier up, give it a relatively quick listening session with a music CD (while powered by batteries) and then Alana packages it up for shipping. I think that it's probably obvious which step the missing foam came from.

At the time that Eric placed his order, there were AC adapters in stock. When it came time to ship the amp, I was out and the adapters were backordered. There was a note on the web status page to let everyone know.

As far as notification goes, I do try to personally respond to every order that I receive. Sometimes one slips by every now and then, but in Eric's case, I did send him a response to let him know that his amp was in the queue and asked him to clarify his choice of color. I believe him when he says that he did not get a response because, looking back at my inbox, I don't see any response back to my email. The amplifier did ship a five days late - most amplifiers are shipping near their projected shipping dates, but there are still some delays. I'm doing my best and, for the most part, things are working out much better than in the past.

-Drew

Mar 18, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #128 of 129
I received my Ascent amp about a week ago and I still can't believe how good it sounds. Absolutely dead quiet, beautifully detailed, open and airy, with a wonderful soundstage. With quality recordings, it is as if you are at the recording venue.

For the last year or so, I have been using a Creek OBH-11SE with the better power supply (a lot more money) but the Ascent just does a better job at reproducing the music, hands down.

There was a slight delay in receiving the amp, during which time I read some of your comments and was put a little on edge by them, however, Drewd always contacted me within a day, whenever I asked about the status of the amp. If I had acted on these comments, I would have missed out on a beautifully constructed, fantastic little amp.

Anyway, this is an amp maker that is worth the wait both in terms of the money you will save and the quality you will receive. Keep up the good work Drewd!

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #129 of 129
It looks as people are beginning to receive their orders and this thread has run it's course. Please utilize the Feedback forum for future comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back