BDA vs. BUDA
Aug 1, 2009 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi headroom and head fiers.
I currently own the ultra micro stack, but in the past few days i seriously tought of going balance with my new HD650.
the dillema is this: If we are talking only about the moduls, it is no question that i want the BUDA because of its max module. but if i would use it with my UMDAC , will it perform the same as the BDA??
from reading in the headroom's site i noticed that the BUDA doesn't come with a built in DAC like the BDA does...two dac's in fact! instead,it uses a phase splitter for the SE inputs. what do you say? will the BDA will give a more "fully balanced" signal than the BUDA with a SE input?
should i worry about this issue?

EDIT: just another thing...will i notice a big improvements with the BUDA (or BDA) from my ultra micro stack?? I know the answer is probably yes, but just want to make sure that it is not only subtle improvement...you know, like replacing interconnect or something... Will it feel like a totally new amp with a new sound? please give your honest opinions, becasue if i am going balance i will probably have to sell all my other gear for it.
thanks!

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 5
Sorry for the post flooding,but i noticed in the headroom's graphs that the balanced HD650 has less bass than the non balanced pair. is it true? or is it just a position issue? because if a balanced drive means less bass than maybe this is not a good route for me. I loooove bass!
except...I don't think that HD650 is a bass heavy can at all, they are pretty neutral sounding to my ears, coming form the AHD5000.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 5
let me ask it this way... If i will use the BUDA with a balance input, will it sound the same as with a single ended input through the phase splitter..?
the reason i am considering the regular balanced desktop is because it has a built in dac which output a balanced signal to the amp section, but on the other side the ultra balanced has a max module which is better.

please advise..

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not sure about the phase splitter part.  But perhaps if I share my experience with the BUDA/UDAC.  I have had the total bithead for about 7 years, with HD650s.  I finally got to the point where I would upgrade and got the BUDA/UDAC and the balanced cards cable.  The HD650s never sounded better - across all genres and with lossless and mp3 alike.  SE was great with the new amp, but balanced was even better.  I felt like the bass was much more apparent, not less so.  I have been weighing getting two desktop amps instead, but I just can't give up the sound I get from this.

I hope the bass comment helps at least.

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 5
The BUDA will sound the same with balanced or single ended inputs (through the phase splitter).  The nice thing about your Ultra Micro DAC is that it is essentially a Max DAC. Not only will the modules be better in the BUDA than the older Balanced Desktop, but your Ultra Micro DAC is a better DAC too. If it were me I wouldn't worry about whether you are using the single ended or balanced input on the BUDA. I have found them to be essentially identical.

As for the move to balanced drive I think it would improve your 650s nicely. It will not give you less bass, but better controlled bass as well as a more open sound stage and transparent tone in the upper frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back