BD DT-990, cheap portable/home amp?
Dec 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Sargonnas

New Head-Fier
Ive looked through a lot of posts here, but cant seem to find exactly what Im looking for, and one or 2 that I found that met my criteria I couldnt find anywhere to purchase them.. other than one, which Ill mention in a bit. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought some Sennheiser HD-555s on black friday for $70. It was an impulse buy.. I normally thoroughly review products, but have loved every Sennheiser product Ive owned, so I figured there wouldnt be a problem. I was wrong. I started looking up reviews, and all of em say pretty much the same thing. Great for all music EXCEPT heavy metal. 95% of the music I listen to is heavy metal. After more research, mainly on these forums, I decided upon the Beyerdynamic DT-990s. Since today is Cyber Monday, and eBay has a good offer right now (10% off, plus M$ cashback of 30%), I purchased them from there. There werent many to choose from, and I bought the Pros, not aware it was a different model. Again, stupid impulse buy. $260, $234 after 10% off. $155 after $30 cashback.. whenever that arrives. Now, Im looking for an amp, as Im sure Ill need one. Audio will be fed from my PC with a horrid onboard SoundMAX chip. This will be replaced with something better whenever I have the cash. Portable device will be an Archos 605 Wifi, and will rarely be used together... mainly for four ~3 hour flights a year.

Im looking for an amp that is both portable, and well suited for use at home. It must also be cheap, and thats the problem. Id prefer under $50, but could spend as much as $75. I just cant bring myself to pay more than that, certainly not when it gets to be more than the headphones themselves cost.
Primarily, Im looking for sound quality. Size, battery life, etc are of little concern, though must have both battery and AC power.

Again, I listen to heavy metal primarly (Iced Earth, Nevermore, In Flames, Evergrey, Nightwish), some death metal (Bloodbath, Kataklysm, Dimmu Borgir), and some.. whatever genre, techno/electronic or something (The Crystal Method, Scooter, Paul Oakenfold). Im also a very heavy game player, so being able to pick out subtle sounds would be great. I like it fairly loud, and fairly bassy.

One Ive looked at is the PA2V2 from Electric-Avenues.com ( More Information About The Portable Headphone Amplifier ). Is this a good quality amp? It would get very heavy use as Im on my PC all day every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back