Bbest DAP using ESW9 phones through PICO amp?
Feb 22, 2008 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
Current have an iPod 80 gig classic using Audio Technica ESW9s (very nice woodie portable). Sound ok unamped but I'm anticipating the arrival of a Pico potable amp/dac. Also I may get aftermarket APureSound cables for thehESW9s. I have a pair of Senn 650s also waiting in the wings.

The iPod is the only DAP i know. I use lossless and it sounds ok but still a let down form my home rig (I tried es530s but did not like the iem feeling.) I then began considering the source and assumed the only iPods ruled. So the next logical step would be to iMod. That could only take place if iWinlottery!

Now I read the Protable forum and I see there's all kinds of stuff w/rockbox and other possibilities that lead me to believe that there may be a better more versitile DAP for my that woud synergize better within in my system. I listen to a lot of accoustic/singer/songwriter music, jazz, and some rock. I like vocals to be forward, true and airy but not to bright, mids to be well represented and not laid back and the bass to be there but not to the point of distractions.

So, given that kinda long and winded preamble I would appreciate you shedding some light on what the now iPod world can offer (that even includes the iTouch) I have a $130 credit on Amazon so whatever that product is, I must buy it directly through amazon.

So, consider this a little puzzle. Have fun solving it and knowing a fellow headfier really could use the help. Oh, one more piece of info, all my music files thus far are set up in Apple Lossless.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 3
I say keep the Classic with the line-out but that's just me.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 3
I also vote classic with line out. Recable the ESW9's. Make a big difference for a 100 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back