BBC Building a Library
Sep 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Henry Flower

100+ Head-Fier
One of the joys of autumn in the UK - the Building a Library programme on Radio 3 is back from its summer break.   For those not familiar with it, it's a programme where a (generally very knowledgeable) presenter reviews the available recordings of a work, playing excerpts from each, and eventually comes up with a recommendation.   The excerpts are more or less in order from beginning to end of the work, so you get an idea of piece if you don't already know it, as well as of the differing interpretations.  Anyone from beginners to experts can get a lot from it.

Today was Sibelius 7, and the programme is available streaming (worldwide, I think) or to download as a podcast (UK only) for the next week.   

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry for the ridiculously late reply (I've been travelling) - yes, it's broadcast every Saturday morning at about 9.30 UK time.

Last Saturday was Boris Godunov.  More interesting than the final recommendation, I discovered from it that the Gergiev recording of Boris has bizarrely been deleted (maybe something to do with the demise of the Philips label it was on).   It's being sold on Amazon for about 200 dollars/pounds!  

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Bump for one more day to listen to one of the most interesting recent editions: an unusual dialogue format for considering Mahler's 10th.   IMHO quite convincing on this hot potato.

It's about 25 minutes into the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/cdreview/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back