Bay Area Head-Fiers: Who has a Mapletree Ear+?
Nov 6, 2006 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kitaoji

100+ Head-Fier
First, I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

But I plan on ordering a Mapletree Ear+ Purist (or the HD150), and I'd like to meet up with one of you to see if it mates well with my phones - SR325i, K701, and especially the DT990.

If you have time, preferably over thanksgiving (or this weekend), please PM me.

I'd also greatly appreciate impressions.

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Just today now yesterday, I ordered an HD 150 from Dr. Pappard and, also, ordered a Grado SR 325i from a local dealer.

Why? In the last month I have researched Headphones because at my age of 63 I can hear a headphone a lot better than my speakers (AR 9's) driven by quality amp with 450w Rms per side.

Years ago, I had a Koss Pro 4AA which I used very little because they were much to heavy. I replaced them with a Senn 424, which I still use, imagine that, but time has moved on and now I feel that the Grado SR 325i is much better than the 424. Heck the SR 60 sounds batter then the 424 at least to my ears. Why not the RS1 or RS2? Because from what I have read the sound quality between the three is so small that my old ears will not notice the difference although I could have bought any of the three.

Now to the HD 150, for the longest time I drove my headphones, Pro 4AA's and Senn 424's, with a Dynaco Stereo 70 and matching tube pre-amp because I liked the sound but with time I moved on to solid state, while not as good in the beginning, but solid state equipment has now inproved to the point where my home theater system kicks ass.

However, solid state circuits don't seem to cut it when it comes to headphones, at least in my opinion. I did look into the Pint's, PPA's, SOHO's Pimeta's and Gilmore's and after considering all, I decided that the MAD Ear+ Purist HD was the amp to get. I was going to order the KIT but when I read the spec's and read about the quality of build. I just had to have the HD 150.

I spoke with Dr. Peppard and he told me that once the offer terminates at the end of November and he builds the orders no more will be offered. Therefore, if for some reason, I don't like it I am sure that after the last is built I will be able to recover my money and maybe more because Special edition anything usually increases in value.

I may still get a portable battery operated solid state amp, maybe a Pint from MisterX, to use when I travel.

We may be hearing reviews of the HD 150, shortly, because at least one HD 150 shipped on November 8, 2006.

Good luck making your decision, I know how hard it can be. And after you decide and buy, Buyer's remorse kicks in.

R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back