Battles - Mirrored
May 21, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #16 of 64
Any ides what the lyrics on Atlas are?

I found these, but I think they're a joke or a rough estimate

'kitchen is cook, oh i know,
satan is cook, oh i know,
scissors are for paupers, oh i know...'

'people will be people when they hear this stabbing.
Repeat x3
..chomping on an indian'

I feel I am starting to really get this album after a few listens. Some amazing stuff that has to be from the future.

May 21, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #17 of 64
I thought he was singing "sing this hook / oh ee oh"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any ides what the lyrics on Atlas are?

I found these, but I think they're a joke or a rough estimate

'kitchen is cook, oh i know,
satan is cook, oh i know,
scissors are for paupers, oh i know...'

'people will be people when they hear this stabbing.
Repeat x3
..chomping on an indian'

I feel I am starting to really get this album after a few listens. Some amazing stuff that has to be from the future.

May 21, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 64
Jeez guys, you really have me chomping at the bit for this one. Now I find out the band has some loose lineage with Helmet? Gravy! I have a feeling I'll have listened to this one ten times over by week's end. We'll see if Amazon delivers (pun not intended).

May 21, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 64
Its pretty good, but nothing that spectacular. No more forward thinking than say, TV on the Radio.

It seems like it needs a quite a few spins, but there is an edge of randomness too it that turns me off a bit. Not that I am against randomness, but it can be used poorly. There is a fine line between using many sounds to create a lush a detailed soundscape, and just simply trying to put in too much.

This is only my first impression after spin number one, however. I look forward to a few more.

May 21, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like it needs a quite a few spins, but there is an edge of randomness too it that turns me off a bit.

Funny, and not to discount your assessment since I've only heard a couple songs, one of them being the roboticized single "Atlas", there's an air of calculation through much of it to me. That said, I do enjoy it, but I'm not sure how much I would without the visuals. Almost like a bastardized disco version of King Crimson meets Braniac, but without quite the charm of either for me. I like it, but on the other hand, I hope it isn't the future. It does have a certain 70s charm, though. Did they do math rock back then?
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

May 21, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 64
I find your comments interesting, Coltrane. One of the things many feel about Anthony Braxton's work is that it's extremely random and unorganized. But, upon further inspection, most learn in time that the music is actually very categorical and structured. While it may seem random and loose in sound, it is quite the opposite in craft. Ty Braxton's experiments with avant-garde electronic composition featured very similar traits, and I think that this quality may have been passed down. I bet that if we had more insight into the production and composition of the music, we'd have more to bank off of to suggest the "Anthony" effect.

All that I know in this regard is that Ty told me that the audio is synthesized in real time with the SuperCollider programming language as well as through external mixers and synths. There must be an amount of logic and form applied to make use of this technology as he has. I bet we'll see a lot of talk in the coming weeks about the particular "style" of the Battles sound, without much parallel between speakers, if you know what I mean.

May 22, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 64
I think I misspoke a bit. I didn't mean to imply that the music was chaotically created or anything like that, but that the song structures (if they can be called that) sound random. I am fully aware that such randomness is indeed carefully orchestrated, especially being familiar with the elder Braxton.

Still, whether it is intended to be random or not, the effect can be jarring on the listener. This disc, so far, has the hint of 'too many ideas, not enough cohesiveness.' It seems to me that some its perceived brilliance is partly based on this fact. Obviously, I am just hearing it a little differently than Aman.

Moderately off topic, what do you think of Of Montreal? I think they exhibit many of the same characteristics, albeit in a much more poppy and vocally based vein.

May 22, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #23 of 64
i checked them out on myspace, its alright. i see how the disputed "randomness" can be perceived to be brilliance or lack of.

Im leaning towards lack of, but there is potential. I do not think that this band will become mainstream.

it seams more like food for thought music than music that will last with me.

maybe spin it a few times and rediscover it a year later.

May 22, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #24 of 64
Just to make it clear; my reason for calling them brilliant had more to do with their extremely forward-thinking production techniques, and their solid uses of technology both in the performance venue and in the studio. Their song structures, well, I haven't touched on them quite yet.

May 22, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder which Braxton albums you have... if you have only his 70s material (which is usually the case for beginners), check out his 80s and later works such as Ghost Trance Music or the Diamond/Curtain Wall Trio (where he got REALLY inventive and incredible) and then tell me if you think he will "probably" be hailed as a genius, or if he "definitely" will be...
biggrin.gif
Indeed, he has an imagination - he's also one of the kindest, most sincerely good people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting! I've been intensely studying his works, written countless pieces about him, and learning from his genius, for nearly a decade now, and I'm still just barely gripping the edges of everything his music has to offer.

I have MONTREAUX double live album and another one.. "5 Works" or "5 Pieces" or something, I don't have it handy.. they're both on vinyl. The latter has pictures for the names of the pieces, which was common with him. Didn't he come up with the idea of a symphony for galaxy or something? um, that would be some kind of sound, if there was air to propegate the soundwaves, that is :wink:
now that's thinking BIG.

-jar

May 22, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have MONTREAUX double live album and another one.. "5 Works" or "5 Pieces" or something, I don't have it handy.. they're both on vinyl. The latter has pictures for the names of the pieces, which was common with him. Didn't he come up with the idea of a symphony for galaxy or something? um, that would be some kind of sound, if there was air to propegate the soundwaves, that is :wink:
now that's thinking BIG.

-jar

Ah, that's early stuff. His more recent stuff is MUCH more extreme. Both of those albums should have diagrams/pictures for titles - all of his works have three particular titles: The opus number, the diagram/picture, and the dedication. The former two are always there, and the dedication is sometimes there too.

Yes, Braxton has written a few large-scale pieces meant to be performed on various other planets other than Earth. He's ambitious, and nobody should ever tell you otherwise.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spun 'Music for 4 Orchestras' the other day. Certainly one of the most ambitious pieces ever actually recorded.

Ah, indeed. What I would do to have attended the performance...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back