Battlefield 3 Headphone Optimization
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BlackstoneJD

100+ Head-Fier
How do you optimize BF3 for stereo headphones? What in game settings do you use? I'd like better positional audio.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 17
Depends on what you're using. Whatever doesn't boost any range is best. War Tapes if like the worst. I'd say Hifi.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 17
Headphones for heaphones obviously and stereo enhanced turned off all the time unless you're on like TV speakers. Seems to spread out the sound a bit better on them. Home cinema and headphones are almost the same, maybe better localisation in the headphone mix or something I dunno. 
Also War tapes is the original raw sound files they recorded in the field during the military exercises and have no enhancements done to them so thats why they sound loud and crackly and hurtful to your ears :p 

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Don't think it really matters, to be honest. Battlefield 3 has horrible positional audio regardless. BC2 was much better in that regard.

I'm wondering if thats the issue I'm experiencing.  I'm trying to find the right setting with my DT-880's while also using the 7.1 virtual speaker positioning to try and fix the "5 to 7 oclock" bad positioning that the DT-880's have under dolby headphone.  But whether I use headphone with 8 channel and stereo enhance OFF or headphone with 2 channel and stereo enhance ON, I'm not having the best of luck of being able to localize the sounds in my head.

What is a game that is excellent at positional audio ( I know you said BC2 was better, but is there one thats even better?)  I'd like to be able to test these headphones out fully

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 17
Modern Warfare 2's online has good positional audio. (notice I mention 2, not 3).

Black Ops also has decent positional audio if you use Ninja Pro.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 17
Xonar -> 8 Speakers/Channels, DHP 2 (middle) - Windows set to 7.1
X-Fi -> Headphones --> CMSS-3D enabled -> Windows set to 7.1

BF3 --> user.cfg in root folder. Add the following lines:

GstAudio.SoundSystemSize 71
GstAudio.StereoMode 0

BF3 ingame -> HOME CINEMA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back