Battle of the Under $80 Headphones
Jun 15, 2006 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
Im looking to buy a pair of headphones to go with my computer to listen to both games and rock music (Beatles, Led Zeppelin) and I was wondering which I should go with. Btw Im pretty in to bass, as it should prove pretty important for the gaming and comfort isn't a huge issue as long as they are bearable. Right now Im narrowing my choices down to the Audio Technica A55, the Audio Technica AD 500, or the Sennheiser HD485's. Which of these do you think would serve me the best for what I described?

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 32
sorry to add another one to the mix but check out the AKG K81DJs especially since you are into bass. there's an extensive thread on this board you should check out. you can get them for less than $60 shipped and they flat out rock!

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
sorry to add another one to the mix but check out the AKG K81DJs especially since you are into bass. there's an extensive thread on this board you should check out. you can get them for less than $60 shipped and they flat out rock!

yup/ I think the A500s are ok too and VERY comfy but not as bass heavy as the akgs and they cost 100 new I believe.

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff
yup/ I think the A500s are ok too and VERY comfy but not as bass heavy as the akgs and they cost 100 new I believe.

Is it about AD500 ??? A500's are bass heavy though.

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 32
Don't know how you can be thinking of cans under $80 and not consider the Grado SR-60's.

From your description of what you're after they could be just what you're looking for.

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 32
Sennheiser PX 100 (new drivers pls). Hehe, after these, let me guess what follows: Koss 75's , Grado SR-60's, Senn 497's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 32
SR-80's can be had for under 80 pretty easily, too. I loved mine when I had them. Flats required, though, which pushes the price up if you include that.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
You might also want to check out the Koss A130. They are being closed out for a ridiculous price on Koss' E-Bay store.

Are the Koss 130s supposed to be any good .. or has no one from here given them a try yet?

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 32
Grado SR-60. They do everything you ask for stunningly - gaming, explosions and footsteps stand out. Rock, especially things like Zeppelin and the Beatles (two of my favorites), they're stunning. Bass Response is very nice as well.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 32
HD485, HD485, HD485
smily_headphones1.gif

It may not have such a huge fanzine here (head-fi can be schizophrenic
tongue.gif
), but it does all that you ask for and, what's more, it does it so well I bet it's unlikely you'll find another headphone this good under $100. And its bass is excellent, so deep and quick and full without being boomy.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trum01
Are the Koss 130s supposed to be any good .. or has no one from here given them a try yet?

There is a long thread extolling the virtues of the A250, which is the open cousin of the A130. Dave al'Orange has both and actually prefers the A130's. Koss is closing them out at an absurdly low price so I suspect you will start hearing more about them.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 32
I will also say try the SR60. For me, I liked the sound of the SR60 better, and they come with better pads (flat). I notice a big difference with the upper level Grado headphones, but between those two, I think the SR60 is better. However, try to listen to a few different headphones before you buy.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjwong
I will also say try the SR60. For me, I liked the sound of the SR60 better, and they come with better pads (flat). I notice a big difference with the upper level Grado headphones, but between those two, I think the SR60 is better. However, try to listen to a few different headphones before you buy.

SR60's actually come with comfy pads. As far as I know, none of the Grados come with flat pads anymore. They can only be obtained from Todd.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 32
I will have to recommend against getting Grado's (at least in the lower-mid price range) if you're into serious gaming. I tried the SR225, and I agree it's got the nice highs and slammin' bass that you need for some games, but I found it had no soundstage whatsoever. Positioning for FPS is non-existent. Of the ones you've mentioned, I think the 485 has been recommended as decent all round cans on a budget. Not sure if they do rock too well though. The AKG K81DJ sure seems interesting as does the Koss A130 which at the price point seems almost a steal.

What you could do is pick up the Koss A130, see how that works for you. It should be decent for games, and if it lacks for rock you can pick up a Grado SR-60 from the FS forums later from the money left over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back