Battle of the portables with USB DAC
May 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did send Dr. Meier the same link as above so that he could approve(which he did) before I began using the 30 volt selection, I had been using the lower voltage.

I've been using the 30 volts for a couple months and mine hasn't exploded yet
eek.gif

Wow, you do have all the answers and I hope it continues to suit you well. Thanks for the info!!!!!

John

May 29, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #18 of 19
My PORTA CORDA MkIII-USB arrived this morning straight from Jan and I went home at lunch to try it out!

Will do a write-up when the MS-1s arrive, but for now:

Corda --> Zu Mobius --> HD600 seems to be quite an analytical setup but not upleasantly so. It's correcting me on lyrics I had previously misheard and I'm hearing new instruments, throat-clearing in the studio, etc. The clarity and separation of elements is brilliant - you can focus on a particular instrument, the rhythm or vocals and find it very difficult to fault the reproduction.

The amp + 9V battery or separate PSU is perfectly capable of driving the 300-ohm HD600 - something which the Total Bithead isn't - for that reason I wouldn't like to go any further comparing this amp with the TB. I will say that the crossfeed feature of the Corda is probably superior to the TB in that it 'muddies' the sound less, but I'm still not a fan of crossfeed.

I agree with iancraig10 about the volume control - the Zu plug is particularly large and this makes changing the volume even more fiddly - you can just about see a larger knob on the picture of the upcoming Move, but it still looks too close?

Even before burn-in, I can see that the Corda and I are going to get along very well and it will do an excellent job of the task I require of it: to get my MacBook Pro talking nicely with the HD600
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back