Battle of the inexpensive IEMs!
Oct 10, 2012 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TikPandora

New Head-Fier
It is crunch time for me now, time to finally decide on a pair of cheap IEMs.  The models I have narrowed my search down to are the...

Vsonic GR06
and the
Ultimate Ears UE-600

I was looking for the GR-04 Flagship Edition, but I can not find any places that have a decent price for me here in the US.

Which set truly sounds better for the money?  I have a Cowon C2 that I bought simply for the sound quality, and my A-Jays 3 are just not cutting it anymore.

And if neither of these are up to par, what pair would be good for around $60 (+/- $20)?

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
It is crunch time for me now, time to finally decide on a pair of cheap IEMs.  The models I have narrowed my search down to are the...

Vsonic GR06
and the
Ultimate Ears UE-600

I was looking for the GR-04 Flagship Edition, but I can not find any places that have a decent price for me here in the US.

Which set truly sounds better for the money?  I have a Cowon C2 that I bought simply for the sound quality, and my A-Jays 3 are just not cutting it anymore.

And if neither of these are up to par, what pair would be good for around $60 (+/- $20)?

The GR06 were really good. The mids were so smooth and, well, good. For the price, they're amazing. The Rock-It Sounds are also highly regarded. There's even a new dual Dynamic driver IEM from Brainwavz that's on sale for ~30-40 (unreleased), you should definitely check that out. The Audeo PFE002 and the HiFiMAN RE0s are also around $80. Looking for anything in terms of sound signature?

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Something detailed and accurate, but still able to push bass.  I am new to this world of higher end equipment, so I just want a good introduction.

The RE0s were quite detailed and accurate, but some people (like me) had problems with build. Also not a lot of bass. There's the RE-ZEROs, which reportedly has slightly more of a low end. The GR06 should be a good starting point, but it might not have the kind of signature you're looking for.

Have you read ljokerl's massive IEM review thread? Great suggestions there.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
That is where I initially found the GR06, but I heard the GR04 Flagship edition was much better than the GR06.  I found a pair on ebay, sold by an authorized Vsonic dealer, but the picture is wrong.  All of the specs match up properly with the Flagships, but the fact that the stock picture they use is wrong worries me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR04-Flagship-Edition-/221132600691?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item337c87b573

They are authorized, and people here have good experiences getting GR06 and GR07s from them. Agree that the pictures look a bit off. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628519/lendmeurears-trustable

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Well, I think I am going to go ahead and buy those.  There is always the possibility that it is just the wrong picture.  I asked the seller if they really were the Flagships, so I will decide when I get a response.  Anything on the UE600?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/599396/ultimate-ears-600-appreciation-thread. Haven't heard them myself.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Hmm....after looking at that thread, I think it is going to come down between the VSonic GR-06 or the GR-04 Flagship edition.  I just need to wait for a response to truly decide between the two.  They are perfect in price, and the reviews of them speak for themselves. I can't wait to hear what they really sound like.

Edit - The Crystal sounds amazing, but I can't find any for sale...that meet my budget.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 14
That's a shame, as they have slightly more bass, with great detail.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 14
So, after it was verified that the GR04 Flagships that I found on ebay were indeed the flagship edition, I purchased them.  Hopefully they come soon!

I too purchased the GR04 about 2 days ago from the exact same seller. I noticed the seller changed the stock photo for you :p . I'm still waiting to receive a tracking number, but this seller has had so many positive reviews that I'm sure it's no reason to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back