Battle of the Brothers - E3 vs. E5
Jan 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the E3 a lot, but I think I a $25 CMOY would be a better value than an E5 FiiO in terms of SQ.

I would say no.

Why?

Quality control.

With a $25 CMOY, you really dunno what you're going to get as it's DIY'ed by many sellers.
Also the Fiio E5 doesn't use bad opamps at all:

Quote:

Specifications
Output Power: 150 mW (16 ohms Loaded)
12 mW (300 ohms Loaded)
Signal to Noise Ratio: >= 95 dB (A Weight)
Distortion: < 0.009% (10 mW)
Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 100 kHz
Suitable Headphone Impedance: 16 ohms - 300 ohms
Weight: 30g
Power Supply: build-in 200mAh rechargerable battery
Dimensions: 44.2mm x 38 mm x 12.6 mm

Sound solution:
Pre-amp: OPA2338UA From TI (Texas Instruments)
Power-amp: TPA6130A From TI (Texas Instruments)

Chinese made with American parts.
Considering all the features, it's pretty darn good for the price.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say no.

Why?

Quality control.

With a $25 CMOY, you really dunno what you're going to get as it's DIY'ed by many sellers.

I disagree. The FiiO E5 keeps you tied to the HP out, while most CMOYs enable the use of a LOD. That alone is a big factor in SQ.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. The FiiO E5 keeps you tied to the HP out, while most CMOYs enable the use of a LOD. That alone is a big factor in SQ.

But have you factored in the cost of the LOD?
You must compare apples to apples.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #19 of 21
There's nothing keeping you from using the LOD with the E5. I'm actually waiting for my LOD cable to use with this. LOD is irrelevant as it is an additional cost no matter what amp you get, unless the amp specifically comes with an LOD cable.

I have both the E3 and E5 though, and I prefer the E5 mainly for all the added "features" over the E3, such as on/off and especially important (IMO) is the ability to toggle the Bass boost mode on and off.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #20 of 21
Running off a Valab DAC to a Sennheiser HD280 Pro, the volume control is a godsend...I actually discovered that the DAC drives the phones very well, to the point where I must keeep foobar at around 1/2 volume, and keep my Fiio E5 some clicks below max volume (between mid to max).

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 21
I'm using a small LOD with my E5 and iPod nano 1st gen. Sounds great and makes a fine ultra-portable rig for bike riding and hiking. I'm using it with Ety ER6i phones. The SQ is a definite step up from using the headphone out and no amp. I'm pleased.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back