Battle of the $7k Setups
Feb 25, 2005 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
My old gear is on the way out and the new gear just came in. It looks like I'll have all weekend to compare these two systems.

Power conditioning used for both setups: PS Audio P500 w/ 5 PS Audio Plus PCs (~$2000 new)

Setup 1 (old):
Edit (note): Prices listed are the Prices I paid and their condition at time of purchase.
Source: Cary 306/200 ($2500 used)
Amp: E.A.R. Yoshino HP-4 ($1500 used)
Headphones: Grado PS-1 ($1000 used)
Interconnects: Stealth PGS Solid Gold RCA ($250 used)
Total (including power): $7250

Setup 2 (new):
Transport: RME HDSP 9632 ($600 new)
DAC: Benchmark DAC1 ($975 new)
Amp: 2005 Stepped Headroom Blockhead ($3000 new)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 w/ Balanced Zu Mobius ($650 new)
Interconnects: Cardas Golden Reference ($450 used)
Total: $7675

My main focus is to compare the nearly opposite sound signatures of these two setups. Keep in mind, however, that the Blockhead, Zu Mobius, and the Benchmark DAC1 are all brand new. The Blockhead has been on for about 24 hrs, the Benchmark has only been powered for about 5 hrs.

Test Tracks:
(x).......Artist
...........Album Title
...........Song Name

Folk/Rock:
(1).......Damien Rice
...........O
...........Volcano

(2).......Nick Drake
...........Five Leaves Left
...........Day is Done

(3).......Dave Matthews Band
...........Crash
...........Say goodbye

(4).......Radiohead
...........OK Computer
...........Paranoid Android

(5).......Iron and Wine
...........Endless Numbered Days
...........Passing Afternoon

Classical:
(1).......Beethoven
...........Sonata No. 8, Op.13
...........Pathetique (3 movements)

(2).......Mozart
...........Requiem (Telarc recording)
...........Sequenz Nr. 5: Confutatis

(3).......Tchaikovsky (earlier of two Telarc recordings)
...........Op. 49
...........1812 Overture

(4).......Bach
...........Cello Suites (performed by Rostropovich)
...........Suite Nr. 1 in Gmajor (6 movements)

Soundstage:
DAC1/Blockhead/HD650 (referred to as Blockhead setup): I thought it most appropriate to begin with this criteria, as the Blockhead was my most anticipated piece of gear. Despite having just a few hours of use, I can say the Blockhead/HD650 combo handles staging and instrument separation better than any headphone setup I've ever heard (which is limited but includes my Omega2 setup and Max setup). Voices sing beautifully from distinct locations near and far. The sound becomes incredibly natural and full when receiving music from so many angles.
Cary/PS-1/HP-4 (referred to as PS-1 setup): This is the weakest area for this combo, or more so for this headphone. The closeness of the sound surely adds to its intensity, but the sound is projected in, roughly, the straight line from ear to ear. Vocals are crisp and abundant in the center of your head. Instruments in the distance appear either distant to the right or distant to the left. The soundstage of this setup is not necessarily a negative as we'll see later, but in songs or pieces with many distinct instruments the sound can become cluttered.

Detail:
DAC1/Blockhead/HD650: Every note comes through clear and distinct. There is very good detail on everything from the symbol crashes and plucks of the highest guitar strings, to that of the deepest bass. Instruments sound full and create a three-dimensional sound you feel as though you can reach out and grab. However, when directly compared to the PS-1 setup, It's almost as if the texture of each sound is blurry. This may be a negative aspect of the distant placement of many of the instruments, but the notes don't come through quite as precisely as they do on the PS-1 setup. I don't want it to sound like a massive downside to the Blockhead setup, as this is a very slight difference in detail, and only apparent on some instruments. Most notably, acoustic guitar strings sounds absolutely crystal clear on the PS-1 setup, but when switching to the Blockhead setup the sound becomes fuller but also loses the minute texture and detail of the attack.
Cary/PS-1/HP4: While Im sure, based on researching Head-fi, that there are amps more detailed than the HP-4. However, this combo produces an incredibly detailed sound (comparable to the Omegas from my brief experience with them) from top to bottom. Instruments appear thinner in presentation, which is perhaps due to their limited placement upon the soundstage, when compared to the Blockhead setup, but the texture of every note from its attack to its decay comes through incredibly clear. A great deal of this apparent detail may come from the closeness of the instruments and the voices, but when compared to the Blockhead setup on recordings with intimate presentations, the PS-1 setup is the more detailed of the two.

Bass:
DAC1/Blockhead/HD650: The deepest bass I've ever heard from a headphone setup. The bass on this setup is detailed, beautifully textured, and can be forceful when needed. When directly compared to the PS-1 setup, the bass goes a little deeper and has more texture.
Cary/PS-1/HP4: Most powerful, abundant bass I've ever heard from a headphone setup. The bass goes nearly as deep as the Blockhead setup, but is much fuller and spine rattling on the attack. Its is like comparing a system with a subwoofer to one without a subwoofer, which is saying a lot given the fact the Blockhead setup has very capable bass. The bottom heavy PS-1 setup (which is definitely a combination of the Cary sound and the PS-1) is not always beneficial to the music. In some cases the bass sticks out sorely, and in others it really adds a great deal to the intensity.

Speed:
Hard to comment in this area because both setups are very aggressive. Ultimately, the the PS-1 setup has more punch on the lower attack and more detail on the instrumental attack. The speed is a strength of each setup, however, and is one characteristic the two setups share.

Tone:
DAC1/Blockhead/HD650: Very natural and realistic. I was quite surprised by this setup when comparing it to the tubed PS-1 setup. Overall I simply prefer the tone of the instruments on this setup. Cello strings sound fuller and more natural, woodwinds and brass sound realistic with texture beautifully matching their tone. This is an incredibly solid-state sound, but one that is so balanced and transparent that every instrument and vocal sounds equally impressive.
Cary/PS-1/HP4: I had gone to considerable length to match the tonality of this setup to my liking. I used warm ICs and Tubes to restrict some of the harshness of the upper mids and the highs. I didn't mind the added bass and appreciated the added fullness. However, when directly compared to the Blockhead setup many notes sound thin, and the overall sound becomes relatively harsh and fatiguing. Perhaps this is the downside to the setup's incredible detail and attack when compared to a setup that is more distant and less detailed. When strictly listening to the instrumental tones (aforementioned strings, woodwinds, and brass) the sound is brighter and lacking the three-dimensional texture of the Blockhead setup. There is more apparent detail and texture on the attack, but is a thinner and harsher tone than that of the more balanced setup. This may seem like a harsh (no pun) analysis of an important area for enjoyment, but keep in mind this is not for every instrument, and the differences aren't as drastic as I make them seem. Most are only apparent when A/Bing the two setups. Both setups are entirely enjoyable after a few moments of being lost in the music.

Overall:
Both setups excel in certain areas. If you want a transparent and balanced solid state amp with good bass and a huge soundstage then you should definitely consider building a setup around the Headroom Blockhead. If, however, you are seeking the elusive combination of Bass and Detail then look no further than the PS-1.

There are many other attributes not fully represented by either of these setups. I would not suggest either if you are looking for a liquid or overly warm sound. I'm sure such a thing would be possible with the HP-4 in your system, but every other component used is very much solid state. Also, In both cases, neither setup is incredibly musical. The PS-1 system is more colored, but with that coloration it focuses mostly on intensity. As for the blockhead setup, the degree of musicality would greatly depend on the choice of source. When paired with the DAC1 it is definitely musical, but is so severely neutral that it leaves me to believe other setups could easily surpass this in musicality. All and all, I am quite happy with my new gear and will update this thread as I notice changes with burn in.

Also, I have pictures if anyone wants to host them for me.

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 22
So I can't just say "Grado beats Senn again"? Rats. Well thought out comparo, very informative to read, thanks!

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 22
Have you tried the Cary with the Blockhead yet? Or the Cary as the transport to the Dac1 and then the blockhead?
600smile.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 22
I have tired both of those setups, but only briefly. Most apparent with the Cary feeding the Blockhead was a little less detail in the highs and a little less air, but more bass and more punch. Im going to experiment more with the combinations throughout the weekend.

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 22
WOW, that is a lot of things to change all at one time. You didn't say; were the HD650 broken in? Electronics can break in pretty quick but phones, especialy the 650 seem to take longer (about 200 hours). I'm glad you plan to come back and report after things are broken in and settled down.
Like I said you changed alot of things all at once. From a personal standpoint I'm very curious to hear about a comparison between the DAc1/650 compared to the dac1/blockhead/650. And maybe if possible include dac1/balanced/650. I guess what I'm after is how much of the difference is due to different dac and headphone, and how much is due to different amp.
Thanks
David

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 22
What I did't say was why I changed setups. Most importantly was to save space. My old system had its own rack and was setup in its own section of the room next to a leather recliner. The room is continually shirnking as stuff gets added and I decided to rebuild a system around the computer.

I didnt want the review to make it seem I was unhappy with the PS-1 setup. I liked it alot (infact I chose it over the Omega2/KGSS), but the single disc player coupled with the amount of space it took up pushed me toward a more convenient setup.

Edit (a few more things to add): I have two pairs of 650s, I decided to use the new balanced zu on the new senns, so that is true they arent broken in yet (they have about 60-70 hrs of use). However, Im not really sure what i can expect as they break in, Im am very happy with their tone and soundstage as is, and I would be very surprised if they were able to produce more detail as they gain more hours of use.

I can include a comparison between the headamp on the DAC1 to the Blockhead, but I dont have the connectors to use the balanced out of the DAC1 as an amp.

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 22
all I need is a DAC1 and Zu Mobius, and I can recreate your BlockHead setup.
biggrin.gif
well, my RME HDSP9632 is modded with upgraded power caps... but similar enough, and I don't know if they'll do anything to the optical output. right now I'm using my Accuphase DP-85 as a DAC since I'm too lazy to switch CD's when there's a lot of FLAC files on my computer.

I also got my BlockHead yesterday, and it is sounding pretty good with my HD650's (using a pure silver balanced cable I made a few days ago).

anyways, the BlockHead w/ SA costs $3888 new... and if you want me to host your pics, I can do that. YGPM.

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 22
EyEPoD, have you tried the new system with a Cardas, etc. balanced cable to the XLRs on the back of the Blockhead? If not, you aren't getting the detail, soundstage, bass power and articulation that you've already paid for. Believe me- it's worth every penny of the extra $250.00 from Headroom for a Cardas balanced cable. Copper, in this config, gives up NOTHING to silver, BTW. And that's coming from someone who owns both cables, both cans, a fully updated Blockhead with SAs and the new Balanced Reference modules, and who runs the sound out to the balanced HD650s from a Meridian G08/Blockhead combo... and there's something satisfyingly 'industrial grade' about hooking $1100.00 worth (or, * any * HQ grade) of XLR cabling between the Meridian and the Blockhead...
biggrin.gif

If you haven't tried balanced cabling on those HD650s with the rest of your new rig, you are in for a bit of a shock. A good shock.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 22
You have me a bit confused. I had Zu make me a balanced Mobius special for the blockhead. I am using Cardas golden Reference ICs between the DAC1 and the Blockhead. Is there a better way to set up the blockhead, or are you suggesting that the balanced cardas cable for the HD650s is better than the balanced Zu Mobius?

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyEPoD
You have me a bit confused. I had Zu make me a balanced Mobius special for the blockhead. I am using Cardas golden Reference ICs between the DAC1 and the Blockhead. Is there a better way to set up the blockhead, or are you suggesting that the balanced cardas cable for the HD650s is better than the balanced Zu Mobius?

Lumley is talking about balanced cable (XLR to XLR) connecting the DAC1 and the Blockhead .

I thought you had sold your HP-4!

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 22
haha I did sell it, but because of the paypal mixup I had to force the poor head-fier to send me a MO which slowed the process considerably. The HP-4 will probably ship out in a day or 2 depending
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 22
Have you considered omegas with one of kevin gilmore's amps?

IMO that combo outperforms the cans and amps you have listed here, although I am fond of the HP4.

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyEPoD

Well, two things, really. Are you running RCA or XLR ends between DAC1 and Blockhead? You might want to consider XLR>XLR Out>In, if you can part with those nice GR's for awhile...
biggrin.gif

Have you tried a Cardas in place of the Zu? I didn't see the part of your post that referred to the custom balanced Zu; my bad. IMO, Cardas is worthwhile to audition with your rig; it has amazing synergy with the Blockhead, IMO.

All that said, congrats on the new rig- staying put or tweaking the cabling aside, its an awesome setup!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back