Battle of IEMs | 1More Quad Driver | Moondrop Aria | Etymotic ER2XR/SE [Max. 150€]
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Bacchinif

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, it's been quite a while I haven't posted anything but I've continued to read many interesting threads in here. I'm opening a new thread because as many of us I'm still struggling to find an IEM that 100% satisfies me.

At the moment I'm using:

1 More Quad Driver [Owned]
Pro: build quality, portability, comfort, decent bass, sound generally warmer
Cons: poor soundstage and separation in my opinion, poor recording quality

Moondrop Aria [Owned]
Pro: good soundstage and clarity
Cons: portability, comfort, no microphone, sound extremely linear and cold

Etymotic ER2XR / SE
Want to try them as accordingly to Crinacle's IEM list it's the best of the three for my budget (max 150€).

I'm listening to all of my IEMs via notebook and smartphone with an USB-C / Jack DAC (Creative SoundBlaster G3) that has it's own interface with a graphic EQ. In the past I've also used Peace Audio Equalizer (interface for EqualizerAPO) which gives more control on the final output.

What I listen to?
Pretty much everything and I don't have a specific genre I'm sticking to. Most of the time I listen to rock / pop music from the 70s to 90s.

What sound I like?
Warm and clear! I'm not a fan of linear / chirurgical sound, but I really like a warmer tone without loosing too much of clarity and separation.

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 27
My taste in music and general sound signature (for my IEMs) mimic yours. I Also have an appreciation for varying low ends: slow & visceral to deep & fast. My collection ranges from $15 - much more. Unfortunately I can’t really recommend too many IEMs that hit the combination of warm, without a loss of clarity/definition, in the £150 range.

(KBear) Tri i3
JVC HA-FDX1 (sold by Drop.com)
FiiO FD7, with a additional foam screen modification
Mangird Tea
Dunu DK3001 Pro
Dunu Zen

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 27
My taste in music and general sound signature (for my IEMs) mimic yours. I Also have an appreciation for varying low ends: slow & visceral to deep & fast. My collection ranges from $15 - much more. Unfortunately I can’t really recommend too many IEMs that hit the combination of warm, without a loss of clarity/definition, in the £150 range.

(KBear) Tri i3
JVC HA-FDX1 (sold by Drop.com)
FiiO FD7, with a additional foam screen modification
Mangird Tea
Dunu DK3001 Pro
Dunu Zen

Thank you very much for your quick response, really appreciated.

I've checked some of your suggestions and unlikely none of them is sold by Amazon and / or can be found in my price range.

Have you ever tried one of the IEMs in the title? What do you thing about them in that case?

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 27
Also interested in this. I've been trying to find a pair of ER2XR's to try but haven't succeeded. I hear they're quite unique.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 27
Also interested in this. I've been trying to find a pair of ER2XR's to try but haven't succeeded. I hear they're quite unique.

Me too!
I'm planning to purchase IEMs through Amazon because I can refund the item within 30 days in case I don't like them.

At the moment they're priced 160€ but they might drop in price with BF.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 27
Me too!
I'm planning to purchase IEMs through Amazon because I can refund the item within 30 days in case I don't like them.

At the moment they're priced 160€ but they might drop in price with BF.
That's like $175 USD... Crazy overpriced. They're ~$80 on Amazon, $100 from Adorama, and have seen many sales to $75 (and I think at least once or twice, $65). At those prices you might be better off buying from the US, even after imports.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 27
Thank you very much for your quick response, really appreciated.

I've checked some of your suggestions and unlikely none of them is sold by Amazon and / or can be found in my price range.

Have you ever tried one of the IEMs in the title? What do you thing about them in that case?
Of your mentioned IEMs, I’m only familiar with Moondrop; but I lost interest with them, after they abandoned their original sound signature, the Kanas series.

Also, it’s a rarity that you’ll find a better IEM, that doesn’t benefit from added power.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 27
That's like $175 USD... Crazy overpriced. They're ~$80 on Amazon, $100 from Adorama, and have seen many sales to $75 (and I think at least once or twice, $65). At those prices you might be better off buying from the US, even after imports.

Omg, you're right. How is that even possibile :O? I've noticed that it is also cheaper from the Warehouse. It's definitely a shame that it's so expensive on Amazon.it.

I can consider buying them from Amazon.com, but I'm scared that refund policies doesn't apply for international deliveries.

Of your mentioned IEMs, I’m only familiar with Moondrop; but I lost interest with them, after they abandoned their original sound signature, the Kanas series.

Also, it’s a rarity that you’ll find a better IEM, that doesn’t benefit from added power.

I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster G3 connected via USB-C to my PC as I was looking for a cheap/powerful DAC. It's probably not the best on the market, but I paid it only like 30€.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 27
In my experience, the Aria is the opposite of cold. If I have anything to complain about, it's a possible lack of brightness in the upper region. Which is why I keep trying other IEMs, only to find that more clarity always comes with more sibilance, at least in this price bracket.
I also find the Aria extremely comfortable and - against Moondrop's own recommendation - regularly fall asleep wearing them without experiencing any discomfort.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 27
In my experience, the Aria is the opposite of cold. If I have anything to complain about, it's a possible lack of brightness in the upper region. Which is why I keep trying other IEMs, only to find that more clarity always comes with more sibilance, at least in this price bracket.
I also find the Aria extremely comfortable and - against Moondrop's own recommendation - regularly fall asleep wearing them without experiencing any discomfort.

I wasn't complaining about the Arias being uncomfortable at all - but it's clear that a pair of 1More and/or Etymotic are more confortable when it comes to quickly take them off.

What about sound quality? Is there anything better you can recommend in that price range?

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #11 of 27
What about sound quality? Is there anything better you can recommend in that price range?
I can't. I like it even more than the more expensive Starfield, but I'm not in a position to test every IEM I fancy.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #12 of 27
I wasn't complaining about the Arias being uncomfortable at all - but it's clear that a pair of 1More and/or Etymotic are more confortable when it comes to quickly take them off.

They aren't because of the deep insertion. As far as Etys are concerned I'd scratch the ER2SE off your list based on your sound preference. The XR might be borderline. The Arias are the safer choice imo.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 27
They aren't because of the deep insertion. As far as Etys are concerned I'd scratch the ER2SE off your list based on your sound preference. The XR might be borderline. The Arias are the safer choice imo.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you sure that the deep insertion might cause discomfort while taking the IEMs off? I've never tried a pair of Etymotics but I can't see why they might be more uncomfortable if compared with a pair of over-ear IEMs like the Arias.

Any specific difference between the ER2SE and the XRs? What do you mean when you refer to the XRs as borderline?

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 27
Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you sure that the deep insertion might cause discomfort while taking the IEMs off? I've never tried a pair of Etymotics but I can't see why they might be more uncomfortable if compared with a pair of over-ear IEMs like the Arias.

Any specific difference between the ER2SE and the XRs? What do you mean when you refer to the XRs as borderline?

Plenty skip out on the Etys because of the deep insertion fit. You are more likely to experience discomfort putting them in and wearing them. It took me a few days to get use to them. As long as you aren't yanking them out and break the seal (I pull down slightly on my ear), you shouldn't feel discomfort removing them. I'm saying it requires more thought (at least initially) than regular iems. Tbh it'd get annoying putting them in and taking them out constantly.

The XRs have more bass than the SE. By borderline I mean the XRs can be described as slightly warm.

Here's Super Review's frequency response graph of the ER2SE, ER2XR, and Moondrop Aria. FYI he has reviews of the XR and Aria on Youtube.
https://squig.link/?share=Moondrop_Aria,Etymotic_ER2XR,Etymotic_ER2SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back