Battle Music!
Jul 29, 2004 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
what are your favorite musical battles? in other words, music that depicts a battle, NOT "duling banjos" :b my favorites are:

beethoven: "wellington's victory"
a complete battle between the french and english, including the playing of the national anthems on opposings sides of the stage, each army marching up, and real canons and muskets shooting in time to the music! it is one of the cheesiest things beethoven wrote (imagine kubrick directing a star wars film), but probably the most exciting. it even features a cavalry charge and after the victory, celebration music and even a cheeky little fugue. the kunzel recording on telarc is the best.

wagner: "ride of the walkeries"
one of the great moments in opera, the sight and sound of attacking valkeries flying around the stage. also made a great soundtrack for the helicopter attack in "apocolypse now".

the flaming lips: "yoshimi battles the pink robots part 2"
great karate screams and giant stomping robots.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 33
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture - dueling anthems.
tongue.gif

BW

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
You might want to check this CD out :

B0000013MY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

niiiiice!

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 33
-"Dracula Seito To R&R" - From the Hellsing soundtrack "Raid"
Hellsing the Japanese anime, not the horrible movie released state-side.
sounds like...Vampires in one helluva battle with invading aliens, and it seems the vampires are whooping ass with Jimi Hendrix riding a black horse into the battle front swinging a flaming guitar.

-"Rise" - Yoko Kanno (from the Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd soundtrack).
sounds like...if you dropped Enya and LOTR into a post apoclyptic world.

-"Superpredators" - Massive Attack
sounds like...RoboCop, The T1000, The Teriminator, Agent Smith, Gordon Freeman, and The Predator are trapped in a hallway and told to get along.

Take Battlefield Vietnam, blast Voodoo Child, there's your great battle music =).

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 33
Especially when he says, "With a great big hug..." the violence and passion of the battle comes to a peak. You FEEL the urge to hug flowing through your veins, the blood lust of a purple dinosaur!

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 33
For classical I like Holst Planets - Mars (bringer of war) very ominous like deadly black plague sweeping the country side.

Also 1st movement of Shostakovich Sym 7 (Leningrad)

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 33
also:

B00008O89K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1. Prologue/Anvil of Crom
2. Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom
3. Gift of Fury
4. Column of Sadness/Wheel of Pain
5. Atlantean Sword
6. Theology/Civilization
7. Love Theme
8. Search
9. Orgy