battery question for SR-71 and porta corda
Feb 1, 2005 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
I have the porta corda and I just sent for the SR-71. I bought a Radio Shack charger and nickel metal hydrides and I'm currently charging them. Is there a better option?

I heard about those plainviews around here but also heard they're out of production.

Or should I just get a bunch of alkalines at costco? It seems a shame to throw them away due to sound degradation (I experienced it on the porta corda) when they still carry a charge and I have no other devices I can use them with.

Thanks,
Marvin

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Or should I just get a bunch of alkalines at costco? It seems a shame to throw them away due to sound degradation (I experienced it on the porta corda) when they still carry a charge and I have no other devices I can use them with.

Thanks,
Marvin

Alkalines don't degrade in the SR-71. They sound good right until they die (light will stay on but sound will die). This is something Ray mentioned in one of the threads. I think it has something to do with the opamps he uses vs other amps.

I got a little over two weeks use out of alkelines with 2-3 hours of use a day.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 24
alkalines will last for a looong time in a SR71, even if you use them for an hour a day. but when they go it will be a slow degradation for a few hours before the cut out. if you dont mind just tossing a alky even though it's not fully drained (if you cant stand those last few hours) then just buying alks in bulk makes sense. rechargeables drain far quicker, but they are good to the last drop and it's not that much of a hassle to rotate 2 pairs - one in the amp, the other in the charger.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 24
Jahn and iamdone -- Thanks. Your experiences seem to be conflicting though. So do alkalines degrade the sound or not in the SR-71?

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 24
I found these at my local hardware store: http://www.ulbi.com/product-display.asp?ID=35 They're marketed for smoke detectors.

They were $8.50 a pair so it might not be worth it but I wanted to see how long they will last (hopefully 5 times longer, 10 weeks). I'll pop them in once my current set die.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Jahn and iamdone -- Thanks. Your experiences seem to be conflicting though. So do alkalines degrade the sound or not in the SR-71?

some can hear it, others can't. Ray Samuels says it doesnt and the SR71 will make that batt hold a full charge till it poots, I haven't found that to be the case in my personal SR71. but your mileage may vary.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

I noticed no degrade in sound with my sensas (volume at about 9:00) until it died. It just got fuzzy in the right channel and then the left and then went silent (light still on). If you turned it back on, it would still play again but sound bad and die again. So maybe there was some life left but it was basically dead.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 24
Your existing rechargeables will be fine in the SR-71, with this amp there is no degradation in quality with lower voltages so standard rechargeables or alkalines will do. Save your money and spend it on something worthwhile
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I found these at my local hardware store: http://www.ulbi.com/product-display.asp?ID=35 They're marketed for smoke detectors.

They were $8.50 a pair so it might not be worth it but I wanted to see how long they will last (hopefully 5 times longer, 10 weeks). I'll pop them in once my current set die.

Didn't know there were lithiums. I don't think they'll work on my charger, but thanks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
Your existing rechargeables will be fine in the SR-71, with this amp there is no degradation in quality with lower voltages so standard rechargeables or alkalines will do. Save your money and spend it on something worthwhile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
some can hear it, others can't. Ray Samuels says it doesnt and the SR71 will make that batt hold a full charge till it poots, I haven't found that to be the case in my personal SR71. but your mileage may vary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I noticed no degrade in sound with my sensas (volume at about 9:00) until it died. It just got fuzzy in the right channel and then the left and then went silent (light still on). If you turned it back on, it would still play again but sound bad and die again. So maybe there was some life left but it was basically dead.

I think I'll give it up and stick to what I have.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'm starting to obsess too much (first the mini-mini and now batteries...).

Thanks a lot for the help...

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 24
The ultralife are not rechargeable. You use them instead of alkalines. I read about them here but didn't think they worth ordering. I just happen to see them yesterday in the hardware store and thought I'd give it try.

No reason to obsess over batteries. Just get setup and focus on the music. Them maybe obsess over expanding your music collection. Without good music, all this other stuff is useless.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

I have the porta corda and I just sent for the SR-71. I bought a Radio Shack charger and nickel metal hydrides and I'm currently charging them.

Do those nickel metal hydrides fit in your porta corda? Mine don't. It's strange but the ones I have (also from Radio shack) are noticeably bigger than a duracell alkaline 9v that I was using previously.

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 24
Funny you asked. I just finished charging my radio shack batteries and I tried one on my porta corda. They ARE bigger. I also had a duracell.

I managed to fit the radio shack 9V in but the battery compartment is bulging and it looks like the cover will pop off.

I gotta go back to the store about this one.

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_the_gamer
Do those nickel metal hydrides fit in your porta corda? Mine don't. It's strange but the ones I have (also from Radio shack) are noticeably bigger than a duracell alkaline 9v that I was using previously.

tim_the_gamer: No they really don't fit in the porta corda and I already talked to the woman at radio shack to return the radio shack rechargeables or at least swap them with alkalines. Not sure if that's possible.

I might return the charger as well and just go with alkalines
frown.gif

I just got the SR-71 at the office today and I'm listening to them right now with my last alkalines. I had a tough time fitting in the radio shack metal hydrides as well and didn't want to risk it.

Hope this is useful information...

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

I have the porta corda and I just sent for the SR-71. I bought a Radio Shack charger and nickel metal hydrides and I'm currently charging them. Is there a better option?

I heard about those plainviews around here but also heard they're out of production.

Thanks,
Marvin

they are out of production, but Tigger still sells them. look for a mall-fi ad soon for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back