Battery powered low voltage AC power supply?
Apr 10, 2009 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here any experience in building a power supply that involves DC input (i.e SLA battery) and produces a low voltage AC output?

I would really love to get my entire setup running off battery power, but my XCan V3 of course has a low voltage AC input.

I have seen circuits described for pure sine wave inverters, however everything that I have seen is intended to produce high voltage AC from DC as per mains specification.

It seems a bit silly and pointless to buy a pure sine wave inverter only to connect the AC wall wart to it!

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Have a look at this 555 inverter

DC to AC Inverter With the 555

Change the step up ratio of T1 in the schematic should allow you to choose which ac voltage is output. In fact if the amp need a couple of different ac voltages you could spec a transformer with multiple different secondaries.

I think
smile.gif

Get yourself a 12v car battery and run the amp of dc through this circuit and connected to the rectifier on your amp.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 7
I highly doubt your XCan actually needs AC internally. Very likely, if you feed it DC, it will just get dropped a little in voltage by an internal AC rectification bridge, then get smoothed and regulated. I'd trace out the circuit to be sure, rather than just plug something in and try it, but I'd be surprised if you really needed AC to power this thing.

Why would they do this? Likely they decided that they could do the rectification, smoothing and regulation steps better inside the XCan case than putting it out in an external power supply.

In fact, don't I recall that MF sells a high-end add-on power supply for these things? Is it DC out or AC out?

If it turns out that the XCan really does need AC input, I'd replace it with another amp or mod it to make it accept DC before I'd build something to feed it AC. That's even more backwards than putting an AC-AC wall wart on the output of a high-voltage inverter.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt your XCan actually needs AC internally. Very likely, if you feed it DC, it will just get dropped a little in voltage by an internal AC rectification bridge, then get smoothed and regulated. I'd trace out the circuit to be sure, rather than just plug something in and try it, but I'd be surprised if you really needed AC to power this thing.

It could also need an AC input to create a +ve/-ve rails, rectifying the positive and negative half cycles of the AC input.

Or, it could be using an AC voltage multiplier circuit to drive the tubes.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Indeed. Tubes aren't my forté.
smily_headphones1.gif

I still would rather swap the amp than play games with AC power regeneration. AC power is a nuisance, to be turned into nice, quiet DC at the earliest possible stage.

Oh, and while I'm ranting, I guess I might as well point out that Tesla was robbed.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Interesting replies...thamks everyone. I actually had been considering changing amp if I could not get the sort of quality power into it that I can with my other components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back