Battery powered external hard disk for USB-host DAP.
Jan 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tilpo

Headphoneus Supremus
I am considering buying a Galaxy Note, and I wish to use this as my DAP as well instead of my good ol' iPod.
However I feel that I need more storage since 16GB + 32GB microSD simply isn't gonna cut it if I want to watch movies as well.

Since it has USB-host capabilities I was thinking of getting an external hard disk. However the voltage on the USB is not high enough to power a hard disk, which leaves me with two options: get a solid state drive, or get a battery powered external hard disk.
Since I am low on money, I think that getting a solid state of high capacity is out of the question. That leaves is with the latter possibility.

I was therefore wondering if any of you knows a where to get such a battery powered hard drive. I want it to fit in my pocket and have good battery life (at least 12 hours).

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 4
HDD will not be very practical. Why not use a 65GB SDXC (it has been tested and works on the Note) and a 64GB/ 128GB USB Stick that needs no power and is much smaller than an HDD?

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 4
HDD will not be very practical. Why not use a 65GB SDXC (it has been tested and works on the Note) and a 64GB/ 128GB USB Stick that needs no power and is much smaller than an HDD?

I think you're right. I could indeed just get an SDXC card.

I never knew that SDXC worked with the Note though. Thanks for pointing that out.
I think I'll wait a bit before buying one though, as there currently seems to be only one microSDXC card on the market. Might be better to wait it out and watch the prices drop.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I think you're right. I could indeed just get an SDXC card.
I never knew that SDXC worked with the Note though. Thanks for pointing that out.
I think I'll wait a bit before buying one though, as there currently seems to be only one microSDXC card on the market. Might be better to wait it out and watch the prices drop.

It is not going to be soon that new ones will be introduced, not very popular yet. 

If you can get it for 90 Euro or less, it is a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back