Battery power source for headphone amp.
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chrispyduck1

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been thinking of putting together a battery power source for my Graham Slee Solo headphone amp, its rated at 24volts and was wondering if putting the battery equivalent in place of the power supply would reap benefits, if of course its possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi, I've been thinking of putting together a battery power source for my Graham Slee Solo headphone amp, its rated at 24volts and was wondering if putting the battery equivalent in place of the power supply would reap benefits, if of course its possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Signal will be cleaner but since that's a desktop amp the battery for it will be expensive and about as big as the amp, and likely won't run all that long. At minimum, for 24volts, you can wire up a truck battery or two batteries, but you'd still need some kind of circuit to get that to work.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Why not an LPS? No battery worry..

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the reply protoge, think itmay be too involved, and long term too much hassle thsn first thought, seen a battery powered dac by red wine audio which got me thinking.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, linear power supply. No battery worries.

Have a dac/amp w/c is 12v and fed it with battery and then an LPS. The LPS sounded cleaner and blacker.

DAC/Amp w/ 12v 20A battery pack for a transportable setup.
EFn3kWOl.jpg

DAC/Amp w/ LPS (desktop setup)
cnS8C3fl.jpg

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the reply protoge, think itmay be too involved, and long term too much hassle thsn first thought, seen a battery powered dac by red wine audio which got me thinking.

You can just get the RWA battery too, thats what I meant by how it can be expensive but on the other hand, long term you just need to worry about the battery cells. At least the power management circuit is already there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back