Battery pack for Creek OBH-11 ?
Jan 14, 2002 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

meithkiller

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone tried this? The power requirements are 24V DC, and 150 mA. For AA batteries, that means 16 batts, probably in two holders of eight each. With such low current draw I'd guess the batteries would last awhile. What about going with three 9V batteries would the extra 3V hurt anything? Or if I went with 9V rechargeables (I think 7.2V ea) it would be around 21.6V. Is it worth trying, or should I just stick to my Airhead?

-Keith

Jan 15, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Actually, you should measure your amp driving your phones from your sources. I did, and it was only drawing 30 mA. That makes the battery situation much more workable.

Each AA battery is 2850 mAh; since you have 16 in series, you might actually have a prayer of drawing them all down to their lowest usable voltage before the OBH-11 craps out. So let's blue-sky it: 16 * 2850 is 45600 mAh. If you also get 30 mA of drain, they'll take 1520 hours to tap out, which will take about 2 months if you leave the amp on 24/7.

Now, those numbers may not hold up in real life. But they sure are encouraging, no?

Now as for 9V, the extra voltage shouldn't hurt, but I would be prepared to replace the amp if you fry it -- this is outside the spec, after all. But, there is a regulator inside the OBH-11, so there shouldn't be any trouble.

A single 9V is 600 mAh. Three would be drained in only 60 hours -- a factor of 24 difference in run time! So what do you value more: run time or portability?

As for rechargeable 9 volters, most of those are only about 100 mAh -- check the specs. Therefore, you'll be recharging often. Seriously consider using 6 batteries: two groups of in-series batteries paralleled. Since current drain and voltage will remain constant, run time will go up.

FWIW, there have been a few threads on this topic recently here on head-fi and on headwize.com as well. You should read those old threads as well.

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Series: more voltage, same runtime.
Parallel: more runtime, same voltage.

all those 9V tricks will work, to more or less effect. end result: you still gotta carry the thing, and the battery pack. Stick to your TA.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 7
16AAs are great! I just changed them yesterday, after using my current-doubled amp since September. The battery pack was reading 16V, or only one volt per cell, so you really do get a lot of use from them. Towards the end, I could tell that the bass was getting flabbier and less defined, but what the heck.

Eric

Jan 15, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys for the info and suggestions. I did search here and Headwize, and finally found one thread on HW specific to using batteries with a Creek. Not sure if I'll actually do it or not, just wondered about the option. I think I'll probably try it, since it would be so cheap, only about $2. each for the 8-cell AA packs, and then either 16 Renewal AA rechargeable batteries (which I have), or a couple bucks for some generic AAs, and a few minutes of soldering.

-Keith

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Sure hope kwkarth doesn't mind me posting this: Quote:

Originally from a PM from kwkarth
...I found a AA battery pack that RadioShack sells. It is completely enclosed black nylon-like plastic with a built in on-off switch. I took 4 of those and connected them is series for 24VDC. I have them connceted so that together they're about the width and length of a CD case and 1/2 inch thick. So it fits nicely in all of the various carry paks for PCDP's. Nestles right underneath the CDP itself.

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Peter (and kwkarth), thanks for the info on the RS battery pack. I just checked the catalog and it looks pretty slick, especially for the price. I had checked Digi-Key, MCM, and Parts Express, but forgot to whip out the trusty old Rat Shack catalog.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back