Battery Choice Question
Mar 10, 2010 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fester

New Head-Fier
Just bought Total BitHead and waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime I've been doing some research on batteries. Found this on one of the battery websites:

"Can NiMH batteries be substituted for alkaline batteries even though they are only 1.2 volts?

Yes, for most high drain electronic applications NiMH batteries are ideal substitutes and you needn't worry about the apparent voltage differences. Even though alkaline batteries are rated at a nominal 1.5 volts, they only deliver 1.5 volts when they are fully charged. As they begin to discharge the voltage of alkaline batteries continuously drops. In fact, over the course of their discharge, alkaline batteries actually average about 1.2 volts. That's very close to the 1.2 volts of a NiMH battery. The main difference is that an alkaline battery starts at 1.5 volts and gradually drops to less than 1.0 volts. NiMH batteries stay at about 1.2 volts for most of their discharge cycle."

I've got no technical background so bear with me
regular_smile .gif

From what I understand the recommended alkalines for the Bithead only keep their 1.5V charge for a short period of time and then fall to 1.2V fairly quickly. Whereas the NiMH will maintain a constant 1.2V throughout most of their cycle. If that's the case wouldn't I be better off by using the NiMH's and save myself a small fortune on alkalines?

Bit confused, that's all.

Cheers.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 5
I think the answer depends on the headphones you're using and the level of sound quality you're hoping to achieve. With more demanding headphones such as a Sennheiser HD650, alkaline batteries yield a much more dynamic sound. But, as batteries drain the amount of headroom available decreases. I'm not so sure about NiMH batteries holding their charge at 1.2V for that long. In my listening experience, using NiMH with a demanding pair of headphones has not been as satisfactory as with alkalines. However, with more efficient headphones, NiMH batteries have worked very well. If you happen to have rechargeable batteries around, it's worth trying. You're not going to harm anything and yes you could potentially save quite a bit of cash for more music.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your reply Jamey, I own a pair of fairly efficient Sennheiser HD555's so the MiHD's should work. I'll trial the amp with alkalines, MiHD and USB and come back with an AAR on what my ears reckon sounds "best".

Cheers.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Just be careful when using Energizer's "new, more advanced" batteries. I had Titaniums installed and one day they just died instantly, resulting in a complete, horribly clipped output.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Well, I've had my Bithead for a few days now and have used it with both the alkalines and USB power only.

To be honest I can't tell the difference. Mind you I have mild hearing loss and tinnitus so my ears aren't exactly a good judge of sound quality.

But my HD555's do sound better than through the sound card on my computer. Very happy with my purchase.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back