battery backup as a power conditioner?
May 15, 2003 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

springofdark

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious to see if anyone has tried using a batter backup (UPS) as a power conditioner (in the cheap) for their rig. From what I can tell, the AC > DC > AC conversion smooths out the various spikes in the power throughput coming directly from the outlet.

Can this be confirmed?

May 15, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by springofdark
I'm curious to see if anyone has tried using a batter backup (UPS) as a power conditioner (in the cheap) for their rig. From what I can tell, the AC > DC > AC conversion smooths out the various spikes in the power throughput coming directly from the outlet.

Can this be confirmed?

while this may provide constant power, i believe hearing that the power is much more noisey. supposedly the ac/dc converters used in ups units aren't very clean and can put a lot of noise into the line. i've never tried using my ups with my audio system because of the numerous times i've read it's a bad result.

give it a try and see though. i just use my brickwall now and i seem fairly well off.

May 17, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 4
May 17, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 4
I used a APC UPS for a while with success - seemed to clean up some high frequency grunge, but upgrading to a Monster Powerbar 1100 wrought a quantum leap in performance gains over that. Slipping the Powerbar 1100 into my system was every bit the sonic upgrade as primo tubes or a new source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back