Batteries
Nov 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

StiffTacos

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first post here on Head-Fi.

What I've been wondering about for a while is battery powered headphones.

I go to a school where a bunch of kids have Dr. Dre Beats and Bose QuietComfort 15. I don't particularly want to buy either of those models, but I've noticed that they both run on battery power. 

I've also noticed that most of the headphones featured and discussed on this website don't run on battery power. Is there a reason?

I understand that amps are a big deal in a hi-fi listening experience, so in those portable headphones, does the battery power a built in amp?

On a side note, I'm looking for some closed circumaural portable headphones. Budget is $150, but I'll squeeze $200 if it's worth it. Sources are an unamped zune HD and my laptop. 

Thanks

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 2
batteries are almost always for noise cancellation. 
With the exception of a few mid range and higher end models most noise cancellation headphones tend to suffer in sound quality due directly in part to the noise cancellation function.

Most of us have discovered that if noise cancellation is needed, In ear monitors, or some closed cans that seal noise out well do a bettery job, and sound better.

both beats, and bose have a lousy reputation around here, because simply put, they sound bad.  Many pro reviewers on other sites have confirmed this both with their opinions,and some with measurements.  To sum it up, you can do much better for your money.

I'll let the others tackle the headphone recommendations.  There are certainly many choices in your price range. 

Welcome to head-fi, and of course, sorry about your wallett.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back