Bastion Soundtrack... Wow!
Aug 6, 2011 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gamersince1976

Head-Fier
OK, I know that I'm still fairly new here at Head-Fi, and I don't know quite how to put this without sounding like some corporate shill - or worse - some lame attempt at "viral marketing"... ugh.

Nevertheless, there's this new game for XBLA called "Bastion" that I hadn't heard ANYTHING about until a week ago when my brother mentioned it (and if you check out my name, you might infer how unusual that is!). Well, I tried it, and it was pretty fun. Gorgeous cel-shaded/hand-painted graphics, interesting mechanics, and a neat trick with the narrator. Wasn't an instant purchase, since I'm pretty back-logged in games right now, but I think I'll get it at some point.

Anyway, I was reading a review on "The Escapist" about the game earlier yesterday and came across this:

"Your ears are also in for a treat, as Bastion has one of the best soundtracks I've heard this year. The devs over at Supergiant Games could have easily slapped on some generic fantasy fare, but they instead delivered on a completely eclectic but always surprisingly dead-on music to match the action on screen. There's everything from blues to blends of trip-hop and foreign tones."

"Hmm", I thought, "that sounds interesting. I'm not even certain I know what trip-hop sounds like". Please, don't crucify me - I'm still learning.

So I found the link to the page where the soundtrack is being sold by the devs, which is this:

http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/

And listened.

Oh. My. God! I don't know, perhaps it's just me. But I honestly think it's the best album I've heard this year. I decided to buy the actual CD - which is $15 plus shipping, and will be sent sometime in September. It seems to be a limited run of 1000, and it's optionally signed by the composer. It also includes an instant download in many different formats - I actually liked the fact that FLAC was listed in the "nerd/audiophile" section.

So that's about it. This album blew my mind hole, and I thought I'd share.

Incidentally, if anyone out there gives this a listen and can give me suggestions on similar sounding albums - or even just verify that this is indeed trip-hop - I'd appreciate it. There may be an entire genre I've been missing and would enjoy - and that's always exciting.

And the fact that I'll have a new pair of Darth Beyers in a few weeks to enjoy it on doesn't hurt either!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back