Bassy/Warm headphones for under $150
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Devi

New Head-Fier
My old Audio Technica ATH-M30's broke beyond repair so I need new headphones. I ended up get ATH-AD900x's but ended up returning them due to them not fitting and being completely devoid of bass. I'm thinking about M50x's now but don't know if it's worth it over getting another M30x or M40x. I absolutely LOVED the bass of the M30's and want at LEAST as much as they had. There's also the possibility of getting headphones out of that line. Are there better bassy headphones out there? It's also worth mentioning that I love listening to songs focusing on the higher end as well and I will be using them for gaming (with a modmic).

Using an amazon basic 15 dollar headphone in the meantime and they are shockingly good for 15 dollars. It made the AD900x's feel all the more underwhelming.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I own the M50x and find the bass to be bloated and to step on the mids. I also own the M30x and like it much better. Ditto the more neutral M40x (also own it). I personally don't see any reason to experiment much further (witness the AD900x problems). Might as well go with what you know you like. Unless, that is, you are looking for an open headphone. Are you, or were the AD900x's just a one-time thing?

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 7
I own the M50x and find the bass to be bloated and to step on the mids. I also own the M30x and like it much better. Ditto the more neutral M40x (also own it). I personally don't see any reason to experiment much further (witness the AD900x problems). Might as well go with what you know you like. Unless, that is, you are looking for an open headphone. Are you, or were the AD900x's just a one-time thing?
I didn't know what open headphones sounded like and lots of people were saying how nice they were. I didn't dislike it and liked the "big" sound, but I've heard open headphones hurt bass and they really sucked on that headphone. I looked at 579's but the frequency on charts seemed to have not much more bass.

You like the M30's more than the M50's? What is your impression on M30x vs M40x vs M50x? I really liked my M30's but wanted to go a step further for a bit more just because I can spend a bit more.

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I didn't know what open headphones sounded like and lots of people were saying how nice they were. I didn't dislike it and liked the "big" sound, but I've heard open headphones hurt bass and they really sucked on that headphone. I looked at 579's but the frequency on charts seemed to have not much more bass.

You like the M30's more than the M50's? What is your impression on M30x vs M40x vs M50x? I really liked my M30's but wanted to go a step further for a bit more just because I can spend a bit more.
Yeah, if you are looking to upgrade a bit, maybe go for an M40x. It is more detailed and nuanced than the M30x and more neutral than the M50x. I really like it a lot. Maybe check out the M40x and see what you think. It could work.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 7
From my experience, a pair of M40Xs with ZMF pads modded onto them (credit to Zeos Pantera) sound much better and are more comfortable than M50Xs for about the same price in total (last time I checked, at least).
That's just my opinion, though. There are a hell of a lot of people who like M50Xs a whole lot more than I do, while I prefer the M40Xs. This debate could go on for years if people really wanted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back