Bassy headphones for unamped ipod classic?
Mar 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PallidaMors

New Head-Fier
Recently I changed my walkman for an iPod classic (7 gen) because I switched from windows to mac. I already own a ath-m50 and a hd448 and none of them give the iPod enough bass. Of course the ath-m50 managed to make it sound better but the bass just doesn't convince me. I have decided to buy a new headphone that can give the iPod more life and make it less flat. I listen mainly to any kind of rock, from classic to indie. I need a closed headphone that can be driven without an amp, because I'm always on the move and need isolation. I was thinking about the HFI 580 but I don't know if they are adequate for rock. Any thoughts?

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 15
I think you may be better off buying a portable amp and and LOD. Even something like a Fiio E6 and L3 would give it that extra bit of something that I feel the Classic is missing.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Perhaps get rid of your headphones in favor of HD25-1.  Or get a Fiio line-out cable and an E5 or E6.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmmmm, although I wasn't sure about having to deal with an amp, it seems there's no other way around with iPods. I was also thinking about the hd25 1. I was wondering if it needed an amp or it could go unamped.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 15
The HD25 would be great for your genres although if the M50 are not giving you enough bass quantity there is no way the HD25 will be enough. And it is the Classic that is giving you the issues I almost never listen to mine without my E6 because of that. The E6 is tiny (smaller than a matchbox) so it doesn't really get cumbersome to carry around.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 15
HD25 doesn't need an amp.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 15
I would get a cowon player and boost the mach3bass setting (you might need to decrease bass on eq, before boosting mach3bass though).
This the secret trick to make bass more punchy.
I don't know how better is the hd25 bass to the m50, but when I'm not satisfied with bass  I just boost the mach3bass,
and that works for me.
There's also the digizoid zo, I've never tried but have some recommendations.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 15
The FiiO E5 has a bass boost feature which I use a lot as it does not distort the sound and gives it a lovely extra dynamic. The E5 with a LOD is not very expensive at £21 for both on Amazon. I have had no problems with mine over the past 3 years of use.

As for headphones look for Sennheisers tuned for extra bass

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_dj-headphones

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I would get a cowon player and boost the mach3bass setting (you might need to decrease bass on eq, before boosting mach3bass though).
This the secret trick to make bass more punchy.
I don't know how better is the hd25 bass to the m50, but when I'm not satisfied with bass  I just boost the mach3bass,
and that works for me.
There's also the digizoid zo, I've never tried but have some recommendations.

Before buying an iPod, I thought of acquiring a J3. Problem is, I read Cowon player can get bricked by Mac computers. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

Before buying an iPod, I thought of acquiring a J3. Problem is, I read Cowon player can get bricked by Mac computers. 

I  was hesitating to get the s9 because of bricking on regular pc too. Fortunately, that didn't happen.
But, I  guess mac are not enough "mainstream", so that's an additional problem
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 15
Denon D1100 are very bassy without sacrificing overall sound quality and detail, I use them straight out of my Macbook, I haven't felt the need to get an amp. Isolation is pretty good, I've missed people knocking on my door while I'm wearing them, although I've never ventured outside with them on. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, if you only care for rock, I'd say that the hd25 are mostly good for rock/pop anyway.
Also regarding my allusion to mach3bass on cowon, the hd25 doesn't need it to provide some punch,
I  use minimal mach3bass setting.
Now if the hd25 are good especially for rock/pop, I'm not sure they offer the best sound quality for their price.
I found them good, but not particularly exceptional too.  I like particularly the vocals though.
Despite being built "like a tank", I  wish there was a serious carrying case with them (not a stupid bag that protect of nothing).
Also you  can't put them around the neck, just like monster beats (I  don't own monster beats, but I've seen so many people doing this).
If you want to save some money, try to get the basic edition, which is the hd25 without the accessories (no bag, but also no additional velour pad).
They are more comfy with velour pad, with a bit less isolation (3db less I've read once).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back