Bassy Head/earphones for flight
Mar 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Thilly

Head-Fier
I usually bring my M50 with me for my plane trips, but I currently don't have access to them. Are there any IEM or headphones that could have the same or better bass than the M50? I like clarity and detail. What I definitely need is deep bass. Low low low bass. I hate it when headphones skimp out on the treble and mids just to enhance the bass. You know when the treble and mids sound muffled? That's what im talking about. I feel like the M50 did a great job at producing the type of sound I want.

Instead of purchasing over-ear headphones, I'd like to try IEM or on-ear headphones. My main priorities are isolation, comfort, bass, and clarity. My budget is $150. I've been doing some online shopping and came across these.

Sony MDR-XB50APB
Sony MRD-XB950AP
AKG Y55
Audio Technica ATHRE700

Links are from NCIX Canada. This is my preferred retailer, but I'm open to other retailers.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 24
For IEM selection, this set of reviews might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-334-iems-compared-dunu-dn-2000-added-03-12-15-p-1042

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 24
You should consider the Yamaha EPH-100.

Best Luck!

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks guys. How about the ones I've listed? Some of them are on sale (ends today). Any one want to shed some light on those?

I'm not a fan of the noise canceling technology. Its distracting IMO.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 24
There have to be hundreds of IEMs available for sale on the market. Most people only have experience with a small percentage (I know my experience is very limited). So sometimes it better to choose from the ones that have a lot of positive reviews on Head-Fi. Use your googlefu to search for an IEM model with keyword "head-fi" added, and you'll find out if people are talking about them.

Incidentally, if you need another vendor, Penon Audio--who ships from China--is an excellent vendor. Many happy head-fiers have ordered from them, and you'll find that they carry some of the headphones listed on that long list of reviews I linked to previously: http://penonaudio.com/index.php. Heck, they even sent many of us handwritten Xmas cards :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 24
Filtered out some earphones that appeal to me from http://theheadphonelist.com

Notes.
JVC HA FXT90. Bassy but shallow insertion
Velodyne vPulse. Bassiest bassy bass
HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2. Double the price of vPulse, maybe double the bass? deeper bass than RHA MA750
RHA MA750.
Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear. V-shaped, bassy/warm, android controls

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 24
It is generally accepted that these Bass Colours are the same as the vPulse that ljoker reviewed on that website: http://penonaudio.com/brands/DONSCORPIO%20/DONSCORPIO-Bass-Colour. The idea being that Donscorpio was probably the OEM for Velodyne (they indicate a partnership with them on their website). They do ave a very good sound. I also liked the FXT90, but they are a lot more in price.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 24
It is generally accepted that these Bass Colours are the same as the vPulse that ljoker reviewed on that website: http://penonaudio.com/brands/DONSCORPIO%20/DONSCORPIO-Bass-Colour. The idea being that Donscorpio was probably the OEM for Velodyne (they indicate a partnership with them on their website). They do ave a very good sound. I also liked the FXT90, but they are a lot more in price.

Thanks for the tip. According to this review, I got the impression that the bass isn't as strong as the vPulse. Does it need to be "burnt in"?

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 24
That person said that they have never heard the vPulse? How would they know?

I was comparing it to the description made by ljokerl when the vPulse was reviewed. I guess I just interpreted the two reviews differently.

The tagline developed by Velodyne for the vPulse is simply “bring the bass”, a promise the earphones keep in a big way. The bass is deep, reaching down below 30Hz effortlessly and offering pretty good texture all the way down. There is significant sub-bass emphasis but not much of a mid-bass hump, which allows the vPulse to avoid the boomy, bloated sound of mid-bassy sets such as the TFTA 1V and Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE. The bass does tend to linger a bit and there are definitely times when the vPulse is overwhelmingly bassy but for the amount of bass contained, the control is very impressive.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 24
  I guess not. Is there a service that ships out multiple headphones to one customer to try and decide which one to purchase or did I just create a new business idea? I can't find these locally.

Amazon. All you need to do is buy both, then return one. Amazon can even cover the return shipping under certain circumstances.

...Then again, the rules may be different for in-ear headphones...

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 24
Amazon. All you need to do is buy both, then return one. Amazon can even cover the return shipping under certain circumstances.

They don't generally cover return shipping just because you don't like something and want to send it back. But with their RMA process, you do get their return shipping cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back