Bassy amp vs. increasing bass via EQ
Jun 12, 2006 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ckacosta

New Head-Fier
There is a pretty strong consensus that EQ'ing music is bad. However, putting flat music through an amp that emphasizes the bass seems to be "OK". Is there really a difference in the final product? How does EQ cause distortion when the amp seems to improve the sound similarly without distortion?

Jun 12, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 5
But if you get a 'bassey' amp, then everything is bassey all the time. If you want less bass you're going to have to EQ it that way then.

I'd get a fairly neutral amp, maybe slightly on the warm side and find a higher quality EQ.

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
I EQ whenever I can and I'm not ashamed to admit it
tongue.gif

Do what sounds best to _you_

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 5
With Grado's I prefer warm/bassy amps. The PAV2 at $60 is a good 1st amp. Up the scale and the AE-1 is a very well made and warm amp which compliments the Grado's quite well.

Finally there is the Supermacro which has a Bass Boost switch. This feature works very well and it is a welcome addition when I use my Etymotics ER4S.

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 5
SuperMacro Bass Boost simply works for me.

I like it better than EQ. I tried fussing with EQ numerous times to duplicate SM but never could.

I like quality bass once in a while and Xin's bass boost switch and Shure E5c is simply thunderous and impactful. Technically, I can't explain how it works. All I know is I'm really, really happy with it.

To each their own. Some like EQ, others bass boost. For me, bass boost is a must, and I really like Xin's implementation of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back