Bassist lead heavy metal
Jun 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Relinquished

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if there is such a thing.

Like bassist and a singer or the bass guitar with drums or just fast bass guitar solos.

Suddenly got a urge to listen to bass guitar.Unique sound
floatsmile.png

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't think it exists.Haha

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 23
Bassist lead?

Like Primus? Or Tool? Or Rush? Or Type O-Negative? (granted these aren't technically metal but alt or prog metal, and yeah Tool is just bass-prominent). Some early Metallica (Burton era) has bass leads at times, too, and of course there is Maiden but Harris has a unique and different bass sound. There's stuff out there, you just have to track it down. Some 80's and 90's era punk has some prominent bass, too.

The electric bass is a much younger instrument than the electric guitar, and until very recently most consumers didn't have equipment that could reproduce bass tones very well, so it still gets ignored from time to time.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 23
If you're after just bass with no guitar... that's probably going to be hard to find (on a side note, the electric bass as a lead instrument in jazz (playing the role that a guitar, sax or trumpet would normally fill) is fantastic).

For metal with very prominent bass, the main genres are death and thrash, in my experience. Tech death, especially, shows off intricate bass leads. A lot of these albums have heavy sweep picking or tapping parts from the bass. Recommendations of excellent music with prominent bass:

Necrophagist (tech death) - Epitaph
Death (death/prog death) - All albums, but primarily Human and Individual Thought Patterns, where Steve Digiorgio played for them and had a few bass solos.
Sadus (thrash) - Illusions, Swallowed in Black, A Vision of Misery. Steve Digiorgio's main band. He's very prominent, though more as a driving role with the drums than a lead role.
Iron Maiden - as mentioned already, Steve Harris is prominent and brilliant, though again in a more driving role.
Black Sabbath - Sure everyone talks about Iommi, and there's a lot of bass/guitar mirroring, but really... they're clearly bass lines that have had a chord written over them than the other way round. And listen to Bassically, the bass intro to NIB.
Dying Fetus (death) - they've got an excellent bassist, but when I saw them live, the bassist and guitarist were mirroring even when they were tapping, so you don't get to appreciate the distinctive bass sound as much.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 23
The first thing that comes to mind is Spiral Architect.

Aside from them, these are some other metal bands with a prominent bass presence -

Cynic
Atheist
Alarum
Behold... the Arctopus
Martyr
Quo Vadis
Pavor
Vuvr
Obscura
Control Denied
Coprofago
Spastic Ink
Continuo Renacer
Ephel Duath
Exivious
Aghora
Hieronymus Bosch
!T.O.O.H.!
uneXpect

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 23
If you're into fast bass solos you should probably look at jazz. Contemporary bass guitar is really taking off particularly in the fusion department. Lots of people who play with 4 fingers.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 23
I was just about to come and say Necrophagist, but looks like someone beat me to it.

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver is also awesome.

Primus is probably the closest you are going to get to a rock/metal 'ish sounding band with more bass work than guitar work. Atleast AFAIK

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're into fast bass solos you should probably look at jazz. Contemporary bass guitar is really taking off particularly in the fusion department. Lots of people who play with 4 fingers.

Could you recomend some jazz artists with the kind of fast bass you're talking about?

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm looking for fast bass guitar playing

EDIT: I think i got one band I found to add on,
Gordian Knot is a awesome band with good amounts of bass guitar solos that can be heard although their main is still electric guitar.
But they lack vocals so it can get boring sometimes

\m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back