Basshead's Challenge
Dec 21, 2010 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tukk1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new to the forums. I've been reading the posts on these forums for over a year, but just recently registered. 
I've got a bit of a problem, This has probably been asked numerous times before, but I'm looking for a headphone with that full, deep bass; almost overpowering bass, but also covering the full spectrum with clear highs and mids.. I've read of course about the DT770s but I heard they are ONLY for bass and also the D200's but I've heard the bass on those isn't all that strong. I currently have ultrasone HFI580s and love them, but just wish they had a bit more kick in the low end.

Any recommendations??

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Hey guys, new to the forums. I've been reading the posts on these forums for over a year, but just recently registered. 
I've got a bit of a problem, This has probably been asked numerous times before, but I'm looking for a headphone with that full, deep bass; almost overpowering bass, but also covering the full spectrum with clear highs and mids.. I've read of course about the DT770s but I heard they are ONLY for bass and also the D200's but I've heard the bass on those isn't all that strong. I currently have ultrasone HFI580s and love them, but just wish they had a bit more kick in the low end.

Any recommendations??

EQ? The HFI580 can produce obscene amounts of quality bass when properly EQ'd and amped.

What are you powering them with / listening to?

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Any recommendations??

EQ? The HFI580 can produce obscene amounts of quality bass when properly EQ'd and amped.

Yea, that could be my problem.. I'm only powering them with my sound card from my laptop... No amp... But if amped, will it magically just give these an amazing bass response? I feel like amps just amplify the sound, don't exactly enhance it, and I've heard the 580s don't need an amp. I mean they sound great as they are, but I think I've pushed the bass as far as it'll go.. 

Edit: Oh and I'm mainly listening to Deep House, R&B and many other genres, but those the most...

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Yea, that could be my problem.. I'm only powering them with my sound card from my laptop... No amp... But if amped, will it magically just give these an amazing bass response? I feel like amps just amplify the sound, don't exactly enhance it, and I've heard the 580s don't need an amp. I mean they sound great as they are, but I think I've pushed the bass as far as it'll go.. 

Edit: Oh and I'm mainly listening to Deep House, R&B and many other genres, but those the most...

I use mine out of a netbook or ibasso D2, with a flat EQ they are pleasantly but not excessively bassy but start tweaking the EQ in Rockbox and the subwoofers really start firing. I have the Sony XB500 as well as a few other bassheads weapons of choice and the Ultrasone 50mm bass cannon is the king.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 15
Ive heard great things about the Fiio e7/e9 combo but thats more around the 200-250ish price range but if i was you i would save up and buy that

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Ive heard great things about the Fiio e7/e9 combo but thats more around the 200-250ish price range but if i was you i would save up and buy that

Yea, I'm actually thinking about getting the Pro900's (Christmas present)... Eventually, I'll have to get decent amp with those... I really don't wana spend more than 150 for an amp... There's really nothing decent for that price? 

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 15
Im not really well versed in amps since i haven't had the opportunity to try out as many amps as headphones but  you might be able to find something used that's pretty good for that price range

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 15
For an amp you can always go with a studio amp like Behringer MA44.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 15
if you want a lot of bass go with the ultrasone 900. havent heard them personally but from what i read they are for basshead's. was thinking about getting one soon. i just want to listen to how it sounds first before i jump the gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back