Basshead 'Phones
Apr 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the DT 770 Pro 80 ohm has less bass then the Q40, let alone the bass lean consumer premium edition. I have had them.
Usually I say "IMO", but in this case it's so obvious, and stated by others as well.
There's something really weird about your DT770
confused_face.gif

Dunno about you, but my DT770 Pro/80 has monstrous bass, though not as much as the XB700s.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno about you, but my DT770 Pro/80 has monstrous bass, though not as much as the XB700s.

My DT770 Pro 80 had also a monstrous bass, more than the XB700.
I read some comments (at Cnet for example) that buyers were disappointed about the XB700 for having not as much bass as Sony suggested.
The Pro 80 is generally supposed to have more bass than the XB700.

Maybe hifi equipment (or the lack of it), shape of the head and ears, musical taste etc. have something to do with hearing headphones different.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

I read some comments (at Cnet for example) that buyers were disappointed about the XB700 for having not as much bass as Sony suggested.

Maybe hifi equipment (or the lack of it), shape of the head and ears, musical taste etc. have something to do with hearing headphones different.

I find that hard to believe. Any more bass, and the XB700s would cause my brain to liquify. These people must be running the XB700s unamped, because that's the only way I could see anyone ever complain about their bass, and even then they have crazy bass.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

I find that hard to believe. Any more bass, and the XB700s would cause my brain to liquify. These people must be running the XB700s unamped, because that's the only way I could see anyone ever complain about their bass, and even then they have crazy bass.

Seriously, I'm not a basshead, but I liked the XB700
biggrin.gif

I used them with an amp, and I don't think they have too much bass, unlike D2000, DT770/80, Pro900, Q40 etc.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #50 of 56
I've heard these types of discussions ad infinitum lately and outside of getting the opportunity to hear a lot of these individual cans in an appropriately amp'd and sourced environment with my own music, I, like many others, have to go off the possibly (likely)subjective experiences of others who've heard them. Not necessarily that that's always a bad thing, but as we've clearly determined time and time again, what amounts to "basshead" phones for one person and another are clearly different depending on the usage.

For me, when I judge the bass quantity, accuracy, tightness, impact, smoothness, all these variables, I'm usually looking at it through the lens of the type of music where excellent bass is so essential for the music to sound the way it's intended. For me there's no better lens to observe bass than via the Burial, "Untrue" album and other music in the same vein. Others, and possibly many others, might just label a set of headphones "basshead" cans simply because of the way the bass guitar sounds on their Rolling Stones album or how visceral a bassline might sound on a Diana Krall song. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not saying those aren't good markers to look at and judge a pair of headphones bass capability. Just that although they may sound great and have definitively better bass characteristics than another set of cans, that doesn't mean they're going to sounds the way people like myself would hope they sound when we hear that type of music which places so much more emphasis on bass.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Didn't mean for it to be so long but it just got away from me a bit. Have enjoyed the thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit- Oh one more thing. In my book you really can't do much better than Denon D2000s (properly amp'd and sourced) for the money. I have they and the D5000s and am still waiting for the magical cans to come along that have everything I want across the spectrum. I can dream....

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #51 of 56
Take some serious consideration into the Ultrasone HFI-780 if you are looking for a headphone with a massive bass response.
I listen to bass-heavy music only (read Dubstep and Drum 'N Bass) and I think the bass on these is superb, so that should say enough.

Here is a little unboxing I did of them btw: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...oxking-479005/
that might help you in your search :wink:

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

I agree with 770pro having more bass than XB700. Unamped I think XB700 is a bit better.

But PRO 900 blows them away. They have way more bass than both 770pro and XB700.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with 770pro having more bass than XB700. Unamped I think XB700 is a bit better.

But PRO 900 blows them away. They have way more bass than both 770pro and XB700.

That might as well be true, I stll have a headache because of the Pro900 bass
biggrin.gif

Quote:

But they're also open. That's a big factor when buying headphones.

You mean the Pro900? They are closed.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #56 of 56
The best low bass I've heard yet today is Sennheiser HD212 Pro with +19dB on 30 - 60Hz range using kX Audio drivers and sounds great unamped (well it's rated 32ohm/112dB so no suprise here).
L3000.gif
But the mids and highs aren't really optimal sounding but it works relatively good with kX Audio drivers when tweaking the hardware DSP equalizer a little. These headphones seems to have greatly emphasized low bass, I'd say around 40~70Hz why probably some people think it might be slightly muddy but those are generally people that tend to prefer upper bass. I like low bass and these are the closest to subwoofer sounding bass I've tried (well when EQ'd +19dB on the low frequencies I think I can remove the "closest" part
tongue.gif
).

I've also tried Beyer 770 Pro but these require a decent amp or the bass will be quite a bit underhelming and Audio Technica M50 which might even work better unamped but with amp the 770 Pro clearly has more bass. I've also got the AKG 518 DJ which are basicly same as 81 DJ but newer and these also packs a lot of bass but it's more punchy upper bass, good for drum music but for trance, techno, breakbeat, hardstyle etc. I prefer the bass of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back