Basshead 'Phones
May 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

HeadPhunk

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, first post here.

I'm looking for some full-size 'phones that'll rattle my skull with hard-hitting lows. I've got JVC Marshmallows, and they're plenty bassy, but I hate having the things in my ears. I've been doing some research and I've noticed the AKG K81DJ (or the newer model that's the exact same thing) and the Sony MDR-XB700, which look like a whole lot of fun.

They'd be mostly used for trance and hip-hop type of stuff with slow, deep bass. None of that fancy double-bass-drum metal stuff here. Let's try to keep the price as low as possible here, I'm up in Canada and 'phones don't come cheap!

...eventually I'll look into a "proper" pair of 'phones as well, I promise.

May 8, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 56
I've heard that Denon 5000 and 7000 offer great bass.

May 8, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 56
The only phones with tonnes of Bass I had was Poineer HDJ-1000s and these phones have very good looks too... search for a review on them...

May 8, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 56
I have a set of XB-700s on order and will receive them next week. Will post my evaluations shortly.

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 56
Try Ultrasone bass...
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 56
M-audio Q40s with a amp (I used a fiio E5 in my case). More bass than anyone should need, but boy is it fun.

If you are looking a bit lower on the price scale, then the portapros have a good bit of bass IMO. Certainly not as much as the Q40s, but still a good amount.

If you want some 'proper' phones then a set of modded KSC 75s might be worth looking into as well. I'm a bit scared to A/B them with my Q40s to tell you the truth.
frown.gif

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 56
Try a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros - you can check them out at any Long & McQuade's music store, which is where I bought mine.

I love them - tons of powerful bass (when amped) and very comfy w/ good isolation.

(I think they're about $215 Cdn.)

May 8, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 56
Yep, Beyer is the to-go can for bassheads. There's a lot more choices now, however. Ultrasones are great too, with the 780 being mentioned often -- might be harder to find/try out in Canada.

If you're looking for something below $150, newegg.ca has the JVC RX900 for $79.99. Look it up on the posts here, a few people are finding them be quite good. Atlhough I don't think they'd be able to touch the 770 Pro's bass prowess.

Newegg.ca - JVC HA-RX900 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Full-Size Headphone

May 8, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 56
I have a pair of Mogami recabled HFI 780's on the way, should be in any day now. Can't wait to hear the bass of the recabled 780, and will report in here when I get them.

May 8, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 56
Beats by Dre. I'm only half kidding. It really is hard to beat their bass, if you want that much quantity.

May 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 56
HD212- I have a pair of generic low-tier Senn's that sound 100x worse than my Kramer'd KSC75's, are these any different? Sennheiser and bass dont traditionally go well together do they?

Denon 5000/7000- $$$$$$$$$$$$
eek.gif

Pioneer HDJ-1000s- they look good, but theres a bunch of fakes floating around. I might avoid these.

XB-700s- One day I will own a pair of these. One day.

Ultrasone Bass- I've heard stories of Ultrasone bass, any good inexpensive ones I should look out for? Perhaps the DJ1's are what you mean?

Portapros- Same driver as my KSC75's, right? Can't be tooo much more bassy I think?

As a sidenote, would Audiotechnica ADH-500 or 700's be a big step up from Kramer'd KSC75's?

May 8, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 56
I haven't tried the HD212's but they're not really recommended that often unless you're absolutely looking to spend below $50.
Portapros are definitely not bass head headphones.
There's the Audio-Technica A series and AD series; A = closed back, AD = open back. The A will generally give you a better bass response but at the cost of recessed mids. The AD series will generally sound better for most music, and are good all-rounders, but are not in basshead territory at all. The A700 should be reasonably priced if you can find it, since I believe it's officially release by AT in North America.
Ultrasone 780, Pro 900 have most recently been recommended as bass head (newer).
There are older ones as well -- Proline 750, 650, DJ1, DJ1x, HFI 700 are what I can think off the bat that would qualify as somewhat basshead.
What price range were you looking at ?
Edit: The A series probably would have better bass compared to the KSC75, but the AD700 would probably be the one to beat it -- mostly because the KSC75's open nature makes it great for music and consequently the closed A may actually sound worse for some music. I still reach for my KSC75's regardless of what HP I have.

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 56
Unmodded portapros sound a lot different from modded KSC 75s IMO. I was A/Bing them earlier today, the portapros seem to have a tid more bass, but it focuses the sound much more for the bass, rather than the KSC 75s being focused on the highs. If the KSC 75s are lacking bass for you, then definitely look into the Q40s.

May 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 56
The HD212s have bass. The DT770/80s I had couldn't match the bass quantity, but then again I didn't have a proper amp either -- just my iPod.

Having since heard the Beyers and JVC rx700/900s -- I can see why people say those headphones have good bass, but they only have as much as is possible while still having a reasonable balance of mids and highs. The 212s throw balance out the window and go all out for bass.

The 212s are supra-aural for most normal sized ears, not circumaural -- but they seal enough to provide bass and are pretty small compared to the others I've used. I'm new to all this too, so I fully understand that while they are bass-monsters, they are $44 phones, and therefore aren't going to be highly regarded for all-around sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back