Basshead looking for College cans
May 13, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the denons are only 25ohms and work well unamped out of portables.

but...that has nothing to do with moolah! money is more important to a college kid than his nutrition
wink.gif

May 13, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 39
Thanks guys for all your support. I think the DT770 would fit me nice. So I was looking at the ohm impendance, and i was wondering what the difference is other than how much you power it? Like, whats keeping from me getting the 80ohm one and no amp, as opposed to a 200 ohm pair and having to buy a crazy ass dac or somthin?

May 13, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #18 of 39
if you ask me, an x-fi can run the dt770pro 80ohm just fine.

definately get the 80 ohm if you arent saving up for an amp

May 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You are a smart man, I agree completely. Very neutral closed headphone and doesn't leak sound. Perfect for college kids.

+1

I've never seen anyone give themselves props and an X2 before. LOL Brilliant!

May 13, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 39
I would think the k81djs would be best if you're going to be walking around the school with the phones. Seem to be more conveniently portable than the DT770s...though I would say the DT770s would sound better.

May 13, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 39
Beyer DT250, then add a small amp like go-vibe. That will still be under $200.

Or a PortaPro plus a small amp, that will be under $100.

Or a Koss GT/5 with no amp, that will be under $30. GT/5 has lots of bass.

The problem with KSC75 is they are way too inexpensive, they make you look CHEAP.... no good.

May 13, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #24 of 39
Best all-around basshead can under $200 : Sennheiser HD25 w/ HD600 cable and
velour pads, IMO off course ! Excellent bass, really decent isolation (over 15db), unique industrial design, bulletproof construction, left cup swiveling... really nice headphone for the price and it doesn't need any amp to sound great!

May 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #25 of 39
L3000 with the subwoofer mod. Oh and see if you can get a balanced one with a roving cheerleader squad for college hallway cruising. Those cheerleaders can carry around the subwoofer and feed it current using wind power. After eating lots of beans. Seriously.

But no, why post if you haven't read the OP? There's one in almost every recommendation thread
blink.gif

May 13, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #26 of 39
Definitely K81DJ or dt770pro/80. 770 has much better bass but they're very big. After listening to 770 for some time you realise K81DJ is just midbass and lots of it.

May 13, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #27 of 39
Senn HD25-1

May 13, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #30 of 39
i just got the dt770/80 and so far i've been enjoying them. i think they would be totally awesome for college/dorm if i had them back then. that said, they don't sound that great unless you have a good source/amp (this will be true with 90% of all the headphone recommendations on this forum). however, to echo previous posts, the dt770 isn't something i feel comfortable walking around outside with.

might want to look into the sony mdr-v6 (mdr7506) and considering installing beyer velour pads. more outdoor-friendly in terms of size and cable length (has a coiled cable that i found to be helpful in portable situations).

if you are looking for a portable, comfortable, bassy, sounds good unamped headphone, you might want to look at (gasp!) the bose triports (the original around ear)... yes they are overpriced but they are comfortable, portable (lightweight), easy to drive straight from an ipod, and they've since fixed the infamous headband flaw. they get a lot of hate on this forum but they really do occupy their own niche in the headphone world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back