Basshead looking for College cans
May 13, 2007 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

e133th4x0r

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've been looking around the fourms and couldn't really find any posts. Maybe I havent been looking hard enough and I apologize for that.

Anyways, to get to the point, I am looking for a good pair of cans to use for my freshman year in college. I am a total basshead, but also listen to pretty much everything. I heard that closed cans are better for bass, so those would be nice. Also, I am gonna be a broke ho in college so I'll have to limit myself to under $200. I'm probably going to walk around school with these, so a pair with like 200ohm impendance doesnt sound too promising. any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

May 13, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 39
Yeah, I was considering getting those, but just in case, anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input though, lutwey.

May 13, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 39
HD595's would fit the bill nicely. They are low impedance, can sound good without amplification, matches your price range, and works well with a wide variety of music.

For walking around campus you're not going to want to have full size cans like the DT770 or HD595 (at least if you don't want people staring at you). Drop about 20 bucks and get some Koss ksc 75's- you simply can't go wrong for the price.

May 13, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595's would fit the bill nicely. They are low impedance, can sound good without amplification, matches your price range, and works well with a wide variety of music.

For walking around campus you're not going to want to have full size cans like the DT770 or HD595 (at least if you don't want people staring at you). Drop about 20 bucks and get some Koss ksc 75's- you simply can't go wrong for the price.

i thought he stressed the fact that he was a basshead. 595's are not going to be good for that. and to live in dorms with open headphones is a horrible idea. i'm sorry, but 595's will just not work out. dt770's are perfect for what he needs.

May 13, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D2000s would be perfect. It's got strong, clean, balanced bass. In fact, an all around great headphone.

^ You are a smart man, I agree completely. Very neutral closed headphone and doesn't leak sound. Perfect for college kids.

+1

May 13, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You are a smart man, I agree completely. Very neutral closed headphone and doesn't leak sound. Perfect for college kids.

+1

of course they are also quite pricey for college kids. more than double dt770's

May 13, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 39
^ haha
biggrin.gif

Yeah I suppose I was wrong about 595's from a bass standpoint, I sort of forgot about that :p

May 13, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ i agree. must be because he's in college as well and knows the pain of spending any amount of cash on headphones instead of ramen.

May 13, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but the denons are only 25ohms and work well unamped out of portables.

May 13, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 39
Actually, I would recommend some K81DJ. Get a set of those and a powerful little amp and you've got some nice, solid thumping.

May 13, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 39
dt770pro for home (~$150 from ebay), jvc marshmallows for on-the-go (~$20)

under $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back