Basshead Heaven?
Jul 9, 2008 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
I play bass. I listen to bass. I love bass. I just can't get enough of the stuff.

My favourite stuff already includes Jah Wobble, Hot Chip, Massive Attack, Little Axe, Level 42, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, The Chilli's, The Stone Roses, any jazz album featuring Paul Chambers on double bass, Doppleganger by The Grid, Essential Basslines by Dr Das, Chic, with George Bernard etc etc.

I really don't care what style of music it is, if it's got a good bass sound, I generally love it.

So, the question is, what artists/albums could you recommend to someone like me.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 35
Here's one off the top of my head:

Greg Cohen plays upright in John Zorn's Masada (among other things) and has a great sound. If you can hang with freaky intense Jewish jazz, Check out Live at Tonic 2001. It's one of my favorite recorded bass tones.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Morphine if you havent already.

Agreed. "Cure for pain" was a joy to listen to with the DT990 (basshead-headphones).

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 35
It seems many symphony orchestras and some pieces make good use of bass notes. I'm stunned every time I listen to Howard Shore's LOTR soundtracks (those in 24 bit/48 kHz format). The bass they have!

ETA: not to mention organs like the numerously mentioned Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor shows how the bass can be BIG!
basshead.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 35
Some good suggestions for me to check out this weekend. Thanks guys.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 35
You may already know him, since you listed Jah Wobble, but just in case...Bill Laswell.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 35
The album October Rust by Type O Negative. Really tests your headphone's bass detail trying to render Peter Steele's vocals and those downtuned guitars. My SR325is squeal with delight.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 35
Superbass and Superbass 2 by Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride:

41E36JT1VCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Terrific live performances of these 3 bassist at Scullers

Daniel Díaz's "Low":

31F0L5zVwTL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

A very interesting work of this bassist playing different basses (electric, guitar-acoustic, upright...) on his own compositions, some tango-like, others more funky... You may check some of his tracks at his Myspace

Rgrds

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

The album October Rust by Type O Negative. Really tests your headphone's bass detail trying to render Peter Steele's vocals and those downtuned guitars. My SR325is squeal with delight.

October Rust is not as well recorded as Bloody Kisses which is their best produced album IMO. The kick drum sounds a bit weak on October Rust. Bloody Kisses however is a terrific album for those low vocals and guitars, lovely dark presentation with exquisite detail.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 35
Pendulum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back