Basshead headphones?
Mar 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hai3n

New Head-Fier
I have used Audio Technica pro700mk2 for about 1 month now. They are supposed to be the ultimate basshead headphones but I'm not satisfied with the bass. I'm looking for headphones with more rumbling/booming bass and after some research I found these two:

- Sony XB1000

- Ultrasone Pro 900

Which one of those have more bass than the pro700mk2 or will they dissapoint me aswell?

I just want to know that so I know if I should return my pro700mk2's, please help me!

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 17
The XB is widely recommended for serious bass heads, I dont think you'll be disappointed, they were WAY too bass heavy for me so they might be just right for you, good luck. 
L3000.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 17
In this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595146/beats-pro-vs-ultrasone-pro-900 someone says the bass in the pro900s makes their earlobes vibrate.  You can search for the pro900s and you'll probably get some good information.  The appreciation thread has thousands of posts.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 17
Sorry to dissappoint PRO700MK2 are already among the VERY bassiest headphones out there, there's no headphone with a noticable amount more bass, only about the same but not more.

Headphones with the biggest bass out there:

- Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
- Sony MDR-XB500 (bassiest of the bunch, XB1000 isn't that bassy really unless using a powerful amp)
- V-Moda Crossfade LP
- Beats Solo (NOT HD model!) 

These all have a bass quantity of aprox 15dB. Both Ultrasone PRO900 and XB1000 peaks with a bass boost of around 10dB at the highest point of the bass curve. The next logical step is not to change headphones but either buy:

1. Portable amp with bass boost; digiZoid ZO2, Headstage Arrow, FiiO amps (E11, maybe the new E17 DAC/amp etc), CMoyBB 2.03, iBasso amps etc.

2. Buy a soundcard with a good EQ such as Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and EQ up the bass 

3. If you're a SERIOUS basshead, buy a hardware EQ and EQ the **** outta it, be prepared to spend maybe around $150 to get something worth mentioning though

4. Combine all the 3 above options if you're a SUPER-WOOFER-MEGA-BASSHEAD-What-BBQ for the craziest result. ^^

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm using Asus Xonar Essence STX with built in amp and Pro700MK2 was nowhere near XB1000 in terms of bass imo.

EDIT: The XB1000 was also more comfortable than the Pro700, so I'm very happy with the swap.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I have used Audio Technica pro700mk2 for about 1 month now. They are supposed to be the ultimate basshead headphones but I'm not satisfied with the bass. I'm looking for headphones with more rumbling/booming bass and after some research I found these two:

- Sony XB1000

- Ultrasone Pro 900

Which one of those have more bass than the pro700mk2 or will they dissapoint me aswell?

I just want to know that so I know if I should return my pro700mk2's, please help me!

Headphones just can't produce what a subwoofer really does. It's the hardest thing for them to produce. If all you want is crazy bass, I would get a Sony XB500 and a simple Fiio E11 with the EQ set to 2. It will drop sub-bass like no other. I used to use a ZO but really got tired of it because it's such a pain to even control and it's all color coded instead of using numbers or values, and it operates with a single wheel. I like the more retro and solid feel of the E11 and I found the EQ2 bass out of it to be pretty much on par with what the ZO was doing for my headphones and it costs less even. Less customization, but I found I just always used EQ2 anyways, so it didn't matter to me at that point and I off loaded the ZO.

Between the XB500 and PRO900, the XB500 does the same bass, better sub-bass even in my head, for a fraction of the cost. Just equalize the XB500 to have a little more mids & treble and you're good to go.

Very best,

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 17
"Ultimate" basshead headphones imply both bass quantity and quality, quality being something the XB500 lacks significantly (and the ATH-PRO700MK2 as well, albeit with different values). And unlike some people's perception of higher priced basshead headphones, both the Ultrasone Pro 900 and the XB1000 are very valid options, and basically the headphones to get under the flagship level. While the XB1000 has a softer hitting but more embracing bass, the Pro 900 have a quite hard hitting bass with a sub-bass that's quite present but might not seem so due to the mid-bass being able to sometimes overshadow the sub-bass.

Both the Pro 900 and the XB1000 are bass emphasized headphones that don't sacrifice the rest of the frequency range, unlike the ATH-PRO700MK2 and the XB500.

So hai3n, you have to ask yourself whether you want a harder hitting bass or a more envolving bass.

Also, what gear do you use, and are you running headphones with a headphone amp?

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 17
The Ultrasone Pro 900s are earthquakes on your ears. For electronic based music, You'll be hard pressed to find a set of cans that are better if you can pick one up used at around the $300 range.

Cheers,

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 17
I say get a Fiio E11 and put it to EQ 2, that'll throw lots more bass into your already bassy headphones. If that's not enough, you have a problem! haha

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Studio Beats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back