"Basshead" headphones for under $100... definitely not HTF600's
Nov 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xXDUNNXx

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I have a pair of Panasonic HTF600s and they sound amazing...

BUT, when turned up on a bassy song even halfway on the e11 with a low sustained bass note such as I put on, How Low, or Bass Head, they are overpowered and the highs seem to ride on or fluctuate with the bass note.

So now I'm on the search, whats some good choices, I know about the sony XB fad...I want clear music...I have a fiio e5 and fiio e11 to amp whatever i need to...

Any suggestions?

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 12
but will they handle the power?

I'm not even sure how the power ratings on Headphones work...ive seen it in terms of mw's and the HTF600's take 1500mw while those seem to take 1000mw...

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 12
While CAL!'s bass is good, it is far from best headphone for bassheads. Bassheads who want "clear music"? These are oxymoronic.

You either need to pick one extreme or the middle ground here. CAL is kind of in the middle with nice bass and treble. I'm sure you know you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Quote:

I'm not even sure how the power ratings on Headphones work...ive seen it in terms of mw's and the HTF600's take 1500mw while those seem to take 1000mw...

Power rating is never a problem with headphones. Good headphones can handle any listening level a sane person can tolerate and more. That said, certain headphones can handle distortion better than others at 100dB.

Where did you get 1W rating for the CAL!?

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

The power rating does not mean much for bass quality at high volume, it is only the maximum power the headphone can handle (with whatever bad quality) without damaging the drivers - but with prolonged listening, your hearing is more likely to be damaged first before that is reached. According to the graphs at innerfidelity.com, both the CAL and the Denon AH-D1001 (which is essentially the same headphone branded differently) have high bass distortion at 100 dB SPL, but I do not trust those graphs, they are often incorrect. The Sony XB500 should probably suit your needs as far as loud bass is concerned, although for overall sound quality it may very well be a downgrade from the RP-HTF600.

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Bassheads who want "clear music"? These are oxymoronic.

Having a preference for well extended bass with good impact does not imply a preference for high distortion or muddy sound. If there is no extreme bass emphasis, a good headphone can achieve the bass while keeping the mids and treble clear enough.

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Well, you don't think that if "a good headphone can achieve the bass while keeping the mids and treble clear enough", that would be quite neutral? Bassheads demand at least a 10db bump somewhere in the bass region, I'd imagine.

There are bassheads and there are people who enjoy bass quite a bit while not excessively (myself). CAL is not basshead bassy, while it's a little bassier than D1001. From graphs, CAL's distortion at 100dBSPL is less than D1001. And don't expect any lesser headphones can outperform these two good headphones. Many higher end headphones have a similar issue, based on the graphs from innerfidelity.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Well, you don't think that if "a good headphone can achieve the bass while keeping the mids and treble clear enough", that would be quite neutral?

Not necessarily, it could have the bass emphasized, and be flat from a few hundred Hz (maybe 300) upwards. But I referred to not extreme amounts, so less than 10 dB. Also, by clear enough I meant not polluted by THD and IMD products from loud bass the headphone can only produce with high distortion.

Quote:
There are bassheads and there are people who enjoy bass quite a bit while not excessively (myself). CAL is not basshead bassy, while it's a little bassier than D1001. From graphs, CAL's distortion at 100dBSPL is less than D1001. And don't expect any lesser headphones can outperform these two good headphones. Many higher end headphones have a similar issue, based on the graphs from innerfidelity.

The Sony XB series apparently does not (perhaps because the bass is boosted by the acoustics of the headphone, rather than the drivers needing to do more work to achieve the high SPL), although they are otherwise not very good. From the under $100 category, the SRH-440 and KNS 6400 seem to stay at reasonably low distortion at 100 dB, but these can hardly be described as "basshead" without equalization.

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
 I have a pair of Panasonic HTF600s

on the e11

they are overpowered and the highs seem to ride on or fluctuate with the bass note.

You're putting a low impedance headphone that is sensitive on an amplifier, which it doesn't need, and you're experiencing it being over powered, and this surprises you?

Try running it off the E11. No amplification.

Very best,

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
You're putting a low impedance headphone that is sensitive on an amplifier, which it doesn't need, and you're experiencing it being over powered, and this surprises you?

Try running it off the E11. No amplification.

Very best,

Yeah, I have tried that but the bass is a lot more fun with the e5...the e11 does no more than the e5 as the distortion point is before even the e5's max output. Maybe I am looking for the same sounding headphones...but with more sub bass extension and more isolated. I listen to them while walking to class, on the bus, and in my dorm with my roommates being really loud.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 12
with a little Equalising.. Ministry Of Sound MOS006 can handle "a good headphone can achieve the bass while keeping the mids and treble clear enough". though unequalised SQ is somehow bassy.. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 12
If it makes any difference...I had 1600 watts RMS of power going to 4 12's with 14mm of one way xmax in my car until it cracked my windshield at the mirror...not to mention the rest of the system...that's the kind of power I like to have, not necisarilly use, but I like that headroom for bass so I know whatever speakers they are can handle the lowest of the lows and pump it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back