Basshead Gamer Cans
Apr 19, 2010 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dyce

Head-Fier
I currently own PortaPro w/ knock off AudioTechnica ATH-ON3 pads and a Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. I like them both in terms of bass, on my RB'd Clip+, playing songs at 0dB and bass at +8dB with the ES7 with a FiiO E3 amp, the bass is extremely satisfying and boomy. the PortaPro on the other hand can't handle that volume without distorting a bit. But the ON3 pads and the help of the headband applying more pressure, I get a good solid thumping bass (taking the PortaPros off my head you can hear the bass distorting the drivers, but no distortion when on head).

So I am looking for a new pair of cans that are more comfortable and can provide lots of bass when needed. I have been looking at AudioTechnica AD700 and ATHM50s. I have heard the AD700 lacks a lot of bass, which is also something I thought about my ES7 until used with rockboxd clip+ and fiio e3. I thought open design headphones (like ksc75) provide more bass?

anyway for around $100, whats the best comfortable, bassy (when pushed), cans I can get?

I understand that my current sound setup for my PC may not sound as bassy as when I use my rb'd clip+ w/ e3, but hopefully the e7 solves that.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 18
A700 for gaming, M50 for Bass. I think overall the M50's are better than the A700's as a all around phone. Although I haven't tested them for gaming i'm sure they will do fine.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 18
I hear the A700 is NOT a closed version of the AD700. The A900 is the one people consider the closed version of the AD700.

I owned the AD700, and it has almost NO bass impact.

The M50 is TERRIFIC for gaming, though it does lack soundstage. Great positioning though.

For the BEST (IMHO) basshead gaming experience, get the DT770 Pro 80ohm. Good soundstage, positioning, and movie theater like bass without drowning out other sounds. I find myself reaching for these for practically everything nowadays.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 18
I see, i guess ill be going with the M50 then. the driver size is 3mm bigger than the es7, so i was expecting it to be on ear as well, but i guess its circumaural and should be different.

But im guessing the A/D700 has better comfort due to its 3d wings? the M50 design looks pretty similar to the ES7, and the ES7 gives me a pretty tight fit.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, i guess ill be going with the M50 then. the driver size is 3mm bigger than the es7, so i was expecting it to be on ear as well, but i guess its circumaural and should be different.

But im guessing the A/D700 has better comfort due to its 3d wings? the M50 design looks pretty similar to the ES7, and the ES7 gives me a pretty tight fit.

I HAAAAAATED the 3D Wings on the AD700. I don't have a small head, and yet the damn thing was sliding off with any head movement, even after the rubberband mod. That, and my ears tended to hit the drivers, which was uncomfortable. I don't have huge ears. The pdas feel good, but that's about it. I honestly give the comfort/fit a 4/10. The M50s get a 10/10, and DT880 and DT770 a 9/10.

The M50s are probably my favorite when it comes to overall comfort and fit. They are EXTREMELY comfy (just stretch out the headband a little), the pads feel GREAT on the side of my head, and they fit so well, they don't ever slide around. I own the DT770 and DT880, which are more comfy, but the fit isn't as great as the M50s. I find the M50s large enough to not cause discomfort on the ears.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you spring for a DT770/80 Pro? Good gaming can, and closed, too.

I agree, though I don't think they're a BIG upgrade to the M50s, which can be had for less than half the price. I only gave away my M50s for the DT770 Pro 80s, because they had slightly more bass and slightly more soundstage, and slightly comfier pads. Everything was slight.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 18
Hmm, well... I game with the Astro Mixamp to get virtual surround, and it's all I need with the DT770 Pro 80, or anything else for that matter. Unamped, I believe the DT770s will be lacking quite a bit.

I HAVE tested them with the console to RCA Out to the Fiio E5, and they sound good.

Again I ask, how do you connect the headphones to your games? You a console gamer, or a pc gamer?

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 18
I am a PC gamer. I would either use the creative Xmod or Nuforce Icon Mobile to connect, but id say im not to impressed with those on how they drive things. couldn't really drive a AKG 240S

how much difference will I see in bass?
graphCompare.php

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 18
sorry for the double post, but if I were to get the DT770, what amp+dac or equipment would you recommend for me to drive it from my pc and portable players? I hope not to spend too much. PA2V2?

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #13 of 18
ULTRASONE (Pro 750)

I use them exclusively for gaming (i use them for music too! but nothing else for gaming). But, I do play competitively. The 3D positioning is out of this world. Sound stage is useless if you can't pin point where things are coming from. Soundstage is not huge, but not tiny. Above average. They are so good I do not use any DSP while playing Counter Strike Source/1.6 and I hear everything. I am always the one to make calls on where people are.

It is a big rule when clutching (1 person on your team alive vs usually more than one on the other team) that no one speaks, but if I hear something I am allowed to speak, because the team has realized how much more I can hear.

Pro 750 are out of your price range, but if you search the web, I am sure you can grab a pair of pro 550/650, or even a used HFI 780 for a decent price.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ULTRASONE (Pro 750)

I use them exclusively for gaming (i use them for music too! but nothing else for gaming). But, I do play competitively. The 3D positioning is out of this world. Sound stage is useless if you can't pin point where things are coming from. Soundstage is not huge, but not tiny. Above average. They are so good I do not use any DSP while playing Counter Strike Source/1.6 and I hear everything. I am always the one to make calls on where people are.

It is a big rule when clutching (1 person on your team alive vs usually more than one on the other team) that no one speaks, but if I hear something I am allowed to speak, because the team has realized how much more I can hear.

Pro 750 are out of your price range, but if you search the web, I am sure you can grab a pair of pro 550/650, or even a used HFI 780 for a decent price.

Any comparisons to Beyer's

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ULTRASONE (Pro 750)

I see they are only 40ohms, so it must be fairly easy to drive? sound fine without an amp? theres an interesting price on ebay, but not so sure how legit it is. ultrasone pro 750, Electronics, Musical Instruments. Great deals on eBay!
anyhow, might be worth the extra price if its pretty easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back