Bass test track recommendations
Jan 7, 2024 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Lindholdt

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm going to to some testing, and I need some good tracks for hearing how bass performance is.
So, any recommendations on tracks that are good at making "flaws"/poor bass performance easily detectable?
I don't necessarily think the tracks need a lot of bass, more a sound that makes it easy to hear if the setup performs good or bad, when it comes to bass.

Thanks 👍

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 29
Some I use to test bass performance for quality and extension:

1da Banton - Summer Love
Information Society - Pure Energy (great fun for planar magnetic headphones)
Madonna - Vogue
Leaving Wallbrook - Hans Zimmer
Regardless - Raye
Hypnotize - Notorious B.I.G. (you can hear detail in the track with a good setup)
Nina Sky - Move Ya Body

If you search for custom car audio test songs, those guys do huge sub systems for car shows. They link to a lot of tracks they use to show off.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 29
I use a FLAC/WAV version of Sting's Englishman In New York:

Basically, the first few bars of this song showcases bass texturing (ie layers you can hear in the timbre of the bass). So you can listen to tell if the bass is one-noted and undefined/pillowy, versus can you hear a defined and textured bass.

At around 2:14 there is a complex double bass solo, and this part is good to test for bass speed and the absence/presence of mid-bass bleed. Slow drivers will mess up this solo and the basslines sound smeared.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 29
The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
Madness by Ruelle
Seven Nation Army by White Stripes
Sail by Awolnation
Bad at Love by Halsey
Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 29
My goto track for bass
Deep Purple Made in Japan >smoke on the water
Led Zeppelin No Quarter
Neil Young Change your mind
Kylie Monoge can't get you out of my head
dire straits brothers in arms
New Order Blue Monday

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 29
Bass! How low can you go?

OutKast's "The Way You Move" has a descending three-note bass arpeggio as it begins. Some IEMs don't play the third note, the lowest one, at all.

In Hans Zimmer's "Why so Serious" at around 3:25, everything drops out but a nearly sub-bass tone that probably shakes the floor in Dolby theaters. Some headphones just find the rumble, some don't reach that low and some still find the sound of an instrument in it.

James Blake's version of "Limit of Your Love" amasses sustained bass as it goes.

Massive Attack's "Angel" will clearly show if your bass is bleeding.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 29
Alon Mor - Presudeos is a crazy track that is great for bass testing and a lot of other things too (timbre, separation, soundstage, speed).

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 29
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 29
Wow that's a lot of great suggestions, thanks a ton guys, really appreciate that.
Especially with the descriptions for what to listen for in the songs, that super helpful 👌
I'll chew my way through all of this tomorrow morning, can't hear much details this late in the day 😁

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 29
Amazing suggestions, I've listened to many of them just now, and it has helped me a lot. Thanks for all the suggestions 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back