Bass shakers arrived -- need help hooking up amplifier (powering & grounding)
Jul 24, 2007 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
My bass shakers finally arrived, and they came with the amplifier made for the shakers. The problem is, unfortunately, that it seems that the amplifier was meant to be used to hook up the shakers in a car. On the back of the amplifier are 2 spots for connections -- the ground and the +12V. With a car I would just hook up the ground to the car chassis and I could get the +12V from the car battery...but I want to try these in my room. How can I power it? Also, how can I safely ground it? The manual only has instructions on how to install the shakers/amplifier with a car. This is what the rear of the unit looks like:

bassshakeramplifierrear.jpg

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 5
You'll need to get a 12VDC power supply that can supply as much current as the amp needs. You'll also have to connect 12VDC to the "REM" terminal, which is for the remote turn-on, either permanently connected or wired to a switch to turn it on and off.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, I'm sure you don't want a battery sitting in your listening room, so I think your best bet is to use a regulated DC power supply, such as this Hobbico unit. However, do carefully go over the requirements for the amp so that you avoid harming it or risking a fire by overloading a too-weak power supply.

EDIT: Whoops, Fitz beat me to it. :p

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, here are the specs in the manual:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ifierspecs.jpg

Could I hook them up in series and drive them with my old receiver in the mean time (unfortunately, the receiver doesn't have a low-pass filter/subwoofer output, so I'd have to use the EQ to tone down everything but the lows)?

EDIT: I hooked them up to my receiver and they work (though they work like tiny speakers as I can hear the rest of the song through them). I would, of course, prefer a dedicated amplifier for them (either the official one or maybe just a subwoofer plate amp). How would I connect the ground on that bass shaker amplifier? Also, how would I connect the 12VDC power supply to the input on the shaker?

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 5
How can I tell how much current the amplifier will need? All I know is that the fuse is rated at 20 Amps, and the only other info I know about the amp is shown here.

So, which power supply do you guys recommend for well under $50? I'd like to be able to purchase it off of eBay (and I'd like to buy one asap as I'm dying to try these shakers in my headphone rig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back