Bass response/power of sub $350 headphones!
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AirBrontosaurus

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

First, I want to make sure that this hasn't been posted before (I used the search function, I swear). If it has, just post a link to it.

I looked at the "King of Bass" thread and the "Bassy-est Can's" thread, and like what I'm seeing. However, I can't really afford headphones that cost as much as a car (some day I will, but as a college student... no dice).

I can spend about $350, with a slight bit of flexibility if it's really worth it.

Alright... the basics:

1. I will be using them exclusively for music.

2. I will be listening to 192-bit WMA audio (I know... I know... I know. I lose a ton of quality on both ends, but since I'm a member of Ruckus I can get all my music for free)

3. I will be powering them through a Denon AVC-3000 amp, which I use as a dedicated headphone amp.

4. My music preference is about 60% rock (including metal, classic rock, alternative, punk, etc), 30% rap (hip-hop, no R&B), and 10% other stuff.

What I want:

1. I love bass. In my car I have a dual-kicker setup (just for fun, not for any sort of SQ). At my house, I have a 3-Klipsch speaker setup (2x SB-1, 1 SC-1) with a Hsu VTF-2 MK-II sub with a Denon amp. It's not much, but it's what I've got. I want headphones that offer a lot of bass response. Because of my listening style and personal preference, I don't need super-tight bass. A little muddying is fine, because the recordings I'll be listening to aren't exactly of the highest quality.

2. I like treble... just not too much of it. Headphones that others describe as "bright" I describe as "painful." Listening to audio processed through a decent-but-not-great sound card produces some serious clipping at times, and I find that headphones with bright tendencies hurt my ears.

3. I love volume. I'll probably be deaf by the time I'm 40, but I'll have fun doing it. I need headphones that can stand up to considerable volume. I'm pretty sure this won't be an issue with all the new ones, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it.

4. I currently have Sennheiser HD-500s, and love them. They lack a lot in the midrange, but their base is (at least to me) pretty dang respectable. They handle highs well, go to the volumes that I want, and sound pretty good in the process.

Some I've seen and like, but can't get the info I want:

Sennhesier HD-650s - They look great, but their bass response seems to have elicited some dubious responses: I can't seem to figure out if they have good bass or not. The reviews seem to describe their bass in terms I either don't understand or find confusing.

Beyerdyamic DT770 or DT990 (80ohm) - Same problem as the HD-650s. Is the bass strong or just muddy?

AKG K601 - Same problem

I normally hate when people post threads like these, because no one knows what I want except for me. Still, you guys have experience that I don't, and I'm sure you'll be able to at least point me in the right direction. I have no problem doing my own research, but I also love help from experts.

So... what have you guys got for me?

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there!

First, I want to make sure that this hasn't been posted before (I used the search function, I swear). If it has, just post a link to it.

I looked at the "King of Bass" thread and the "Bassy-est Can's" thread, and like what I'm seeing. However, I can't really afford headphones that cost as much as a car (some day I will, but as a college student... no dice).

I can spend about $350, with a slight bit of flexibility if it's really worth it.

Alright... the basics:

1. I will be using them exclusively for music.

2. I will be listening to 192-bit WMA audio (I know... I know... I know. I lose a ton of quality on both ends, but since I'm a member of Ruckus I can get all my music for free)

3. I will be powering them through a Denon AVC-3000 amp, which I use as a dedicated headphone amp.

4. My music preference is about 60% rock (including metal, classic rock, alternative, punk, etc), 30% rap (hip-hop, no R&B), and 10% other stuff.

What I want:

1. I love bass. In my car I have a dual-kicker setup (just for fun, not for any sort of SQ). At my house, I have a 3-Klipsch speaker setup (2x SB-1, 1 SC-1) with a Hsu VTF-2 MK-II sub with a Denon amp. It's not much, but it's what I've got. I want headphones that offer a lot of bass response. Because of my listening style and personal preference, I don't need super-tight bass. A little muddying is fine, because the recordings I'll be listening to aren't exactly of the highest quality.

2. I like treble... just not too much of it. Headphones that others describe as "bright" I describe as "painful." Listening to audio processed through a decent-but-not-great sound card produces some serious clipping at times, and I find that headphones with bright tendencies hurt my ears.

3. I love volume. I'll probably be deaf by the time I'm 40, but I'll have fun doing it. I need headphones that can stand up to considerable volume. I'm pretty sure this won't be an issue with all the new ones, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it.

4. I currently have Sennheiser HD-500s, and love them. They lack a lot in the midrange, but their base is (at least to me) pretty dang respectable. They handle highs well, go to the volumes that I want, and sound pretty good in the process.

Some I've seen and like, but can't get the info I want:

Sennhesier HD-650s - They look great, but their bass response seems to have elicited some dubious responses: I can't seem to figure out if they have good bass or not. The reviews seem to describe their bass in terms I either don't understand or find confusing.

Beyerdyamic DT770 or DT990 (80ohm) - Same problem as the HD-650s. Is the bass strong or just muddy?

AKG K601 - Same problem

I normally hate when people post threads like these, because no one knows what I want except for me. Still, you guys have experience that I don't, and I'm sure you'll be able to at least point me in the right direction. I have no problem doing my own research, but I also love help from experts.

So... what have you guys got for me?

The HD650's are bass heavy, yes, but the bass quality is highly dependent on the amp and source. With a decent setup, the HD650's can provide a well extended, deep, impactful bass that's nicely textured and detailed without overshadowing the mids and highs.

You can look into the Denon D2000's since some have said that those provide better bass response than the HD650's, as well as an overall balanced sound, but I've never heard them and only read enough descriptions and reviews of them so I can't say much about it.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650's are bass heavy, yes, but the bass quality is highly dependent on the amp and source. With a decent setup, the HD650's can provide a well extended, deep, impactful bass that's nicely textured and detailed without overshadowing the mids and highs.

You can look into the Denon D2000's since some have said that those provide better bass response than the HD650's, as well as an overall balanced sound, but I've never heard them and only read enough descriptions and reviews of them so I can't say much about it.

I think what he really wants is VERY impactful bass, and neither the D2000 nor the 650's deliver that.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

I know I'm not offering a lot here as far as what you're looking for...

but please... PLEASE don't blow your ears out! I don't listen to my stuff near as much now because I've started to develop a minor case of tinnitus, or constant ringing in the ears that never ever stops. You might lose some of your hearing which is bad enough, but the only thing worse is to have shoddy hearing but still hear a very loud ring in your ears for the rest of your life. Trust me, it sucks and it's not worth it.

Outside of that, good luck finding the headphones you're looking for! I'm a Grado guy which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 13
I have the 770s, and I don't find the bass inaccurate, just very, very well represented, in quality and quantity. Hip hop and techno with deep bass sounds absolutely fantastic. These phones can go so low it's breathtaking.

Take it with a grain of salt though, I've not heard any other "high end" cans other than the ones I own.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I'm not offering a lot here as far as what you're looking for...

but please... PLEASE don't blow your ears out! I don't listen to my stuff near as much now because I've started to develop a minor case of tinnitus, or constant ringing in the ears that never ever stops. You might lose some of your hearing which is bad enough, but the only thing worse is to have shoddy hearing but still hear a very loud ring in your ears for the rest of your life. Trust me, it sucks and it's not worth it.

Outside of that, good luck finding the headphones you're looking for! I'm a Grado guy which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

Lol, I was being a tad overdramatic earlier: I actually don't plan on being deaf at 40. I'm well aware of the fact that good quality sound can be played at far higher volumes, and thus has a high risk of damaging hearing, and I adjust my listening accordingly. However, I do like it louder than most.

In any case, I need to make sure I have my hearing when I'm old enough to afford my Krell EVO 900s, Martin Logan ELS speakers, and a REL Studio 5 or two (hey, a man can dream can't he?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 770s, and I don't find the bass inaccurate, just very, very well represented, in quality and quantity. Hip hop and techno with deep bass sounds absolutely fantastic. These phones can go so low it's breathtaking.

Take it with a grain of salt though, I've not heard any other "high end" cans other than the ones I own.

Thanks for your input. The 770s are looking pretty promising, and I'm glad to hear the bass is of good quality. I love the punch you get from "feeling" the subsonic frequencies, as well as the lowest-ends of the audible spectrum. I'm glad to hear the 770 can handle them (and you're right; I love rap and techno because of the gut-pounding hits).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For 350-400, you can get a new/used pair of Darth Beyers. Basically heavily modified DT770's. Pretty much the bass king along with a few other more expensive headphones.

Beyer Modding, Darth Beyer, DT770, DT880, DT990, Beyer Cables, BeyerDynamic Modding

That looks just about right! However, I'm a little confused on how to order them. I don't want wood on my headphones because that just seems... weird. But, I couldn't figure out how to order the stock headphones with the open-air back, recabling, and his mods. Is that doable, or will I have to order the Ebony Black finish?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Feb 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood is the coolest part! A lot of the high end headphones use wood because it actually sound better than plastic.

Ah... I didn't even think of that! Of course wood has better acoustic properties than plastic.

I think I'll give them a shot! A few remaining questions:

I'm assuming the recabling/tuning make them better than other headphones I could get for the price? It seems odd to take a $140 set of headphones and add another $230 in extras (sort of like souping up a Civic instead of buying an Audi), but if it sounds better then I'm all for it!

Also, should I go with the removable plug (I'm assuming this helps increase bass response on the low end)? Any more options/extras I should think about?

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 13
personally, i didn't choose my HD6590 because i thought they would have deep bass, and i not sure they do. the bass is tighter but i still prefer my ULtrasone Proline 750's when i want a good thump.

now i can't comment on the D2000's, but again i wasn't exactly blown away with the bass on my D1000's. there's a bit more weight than your average Grado's but i would have chosen them, nor would i recommend them for a good bass kicking.....but like i said, that's for the D1000's.

it's been so long since i had my beyers (i'm sure my brother half inched them) that i can't remember much about the sound sig. but Beyers do get a lot of praise for their bass, but also a bit of criticism for the highs.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 13
The Denon D1000 are rated at 3500mW and they can deliver far more bass with immediate impact than I have ever heard. There is however one snag: The 55mm drivers need current, and loads of it. Feed it too little, and the cans will sound bassy but light weight. Feed it from a headphone amp that can deliver 2 Watts or more into 32 Ohms. You know when it is being properly driven when you can hold it in your hands by the headband and feel it shaking about from the bass. I use a class D headphone amp that can deliver 8 Watts into 8 Ohms to drive mine. The average headphone amp is less powerful than that and won't do the D1000 any justice.

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

That looks just about right! However, I'm a little confused on how to order them. I don't want wood on my headphones because that just seems... weird.

BLASPHEMER!!!

biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally, i didn't choose my HD6590 because i thought they would have deep bass, and i not sure they do. the bass is tighter but i still prefer my ULtrasone Proline 750's when i want a good thump.

now i can't comment on the D2000's, but again i wasn't exactly blown away with the bass on my D1000's. there's a bit more weight than your average Grado's but i would have chosen them, nor would i recommend them for a good bass kicking.....but like i said, that's for the D1000's.

it's been so long since i had my beyers (i'm sure my brother half inched them) that i can't remember much about the sound sig. but Beyers do get a lot of praise for their bass, but also a bit of criticism for the highs.

Thanks for your input! I'm curious; do you remember what part of the highs that Beyer is criticized for? Too tinny? Too shrill? Lacking in power? I'd hate to have all this amazing bass potential and then hurt my ears because of the high end imperfections.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D1000 are rated at 3500mW and they can deliver far more bass with immediate impact than I have ever heard. There is however one snag: The 55mm drivers need current, and loads of it. Feed it too little, and the cans will sound bassy but light weight. Feed it from a headphone amp that can deliver 2 Watts or more into 32 Ohms. You know when it is being properly driven when you can hold it in your hands by the headband and feel it shaking about from the bass. I use a class D headphone amp that can deliver 8 Watts into 8 Ohms to drive mine. The average headphone amp is less powerful than that and won't do the D1000 any justice.

Hmmm... another contender. From what I've read so far, people seem to have mixed opinions on the bass of the Denons. I'm also pretty sure I don't have the amplification power necessary to do them justice.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BLASPHEMER!!!

biggrin.gif

Lol... forgive me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back