Bass resonances with a desk setup
Jan 27, 2010 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nautikal

100+ Head-Fier
I have Audioengine 2 speakers for my desk and have them sitting on MoPADs, but due to the shelf on top of my desk the speakers are essentially in a cave and there are a lot of resonance nodes in the bass end. Using a sine wave sweep, I have identified the following peaks: 133, 163, 179, 200, 267, 342, 361, 385, 397, 415, and 667 Hz, with the worst peaks in the 100-200 Hz range. I can't just EQ the lower end because the bass is not uniformly resonating, so just EQing it makes it sound very thin. The problem is the several frequencies that are resonating.

I tried moving the speakers away from the side wall (so closer together), but that didn't seem to help. I also tried moving it away from the rear wall, but that didn't help either. It's definitely the shelf though, because if I move to the side the resonance disappears. Interestingly, there are certain locations where the sound nearly disappears, as if the resonance/reflection is 180° out of phase in that location, thereby canceling out the sound (?).

Would it be possible to use some sort of bass traps or sound absorption material on the shelf that is enclosing the speakers? Or should I just give up on trying to put speakers here?

img0212is.jpg

img0214cp.jpg

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 3
The best bet would be either 1) using headphones, or 2) ditching the hutch

if that fails, it should certainly be possible to load up all the corners in there with bass traps, and fill the remaining space with absorption material.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, there are certain locations where the sound nearly disappears, as if the resonance/reflection is 180° out of phase in that location, thereby canceling out the sound (?).

sorry i can't help you with you problem, but i've had that too! To hear the bass just vanish into thin air is surreal
biggrin.gif
it happens when your speakers are too close together i think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back