Bass plucking music
Aug 30, 2005 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ob3ron

100+ Head-Fier
I just popped in the new Common album (called "Be") for the first time and was floored by how amazing the intro in the first track sounds. It's just unaccompanied bass plucking (at first) but.... WOW!

Can anyone name some other songs/albums of any genre where I might hear some other bass plucking solos?

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ob3ron
I just popped in the new Common album (called "Be") for the first time and was floored by how amazing the intro in the first track sounds. It's just unaccompanied bass plucking (at first) but.... WOW!

Can anyone name some other songs/albums of any genre where I might hear some other bass plucking solos?

You mean like an actual Double Bass being plucked acoustically? Try "Musings of Miles" by Miles Davis - the intro to "Night in Tunisia" has a great bass plucking intro.

Or do you mean electric bass thumping? I like two - the intro to Ceremony by New Order (Peter Hook!) or even Cannonball by The Breeders - that's catchy!

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Double-bass-wise, I'd highly recommend any of the duet albums performed with Charlie Haden. I was listening to his collaboration with English pianist John Taylor Nightfall and it's richly elegant jazz. His work with Chris Anderson is more traditionally blues/stride oriented but also sparsely beautiful. Both albums are on the audiophile Naim label.

http://216.149.62.210/Merchant/merch...ory_Code=Vinyl

Mmmm, and then for something completely different, you've got the incomparable funk bass of someone like Bootsie Collins. I think the Breeders were channeling Bootsie (baby!) on "Cannonball".

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands

Deliberately recorded rough, no overdubbing on the solo bass, I still can't believe it. I just got it yesterday and even though I've seen videos of him playing, I still couldn't believe my ears. He can funk and groove Bootsy style and he...well, he can do what Robert Johnson was famous for, put it that way. It's INSANE.

Oh yeah, it's a solo bass album. Nothing but the good stuff.

I'm listening to it now, and it still BLOWS ME AWAY - WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? HOW CAN HE PLAY LIKE THAT SO CLEANLY?

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Don't forget Jaco Pastorious! He is a really good bassist for electric bass.

Aug 30, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Ray Brown - Live at the Loa

Ellington/Mingus/Roach - Money Jungle

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 10
The Bad Plus - These Are the Vistas

Double Bass throughout. Jazz, but.....different.

Sep 4, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xilron
Don't forget Jaco Pastorious! He is a really good bassist for electric bass.

wow thats an understatement!!!! look for these players
Nathan East,Abraham Laboriel ,Anthony Jackson,Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller,Steve Bailey,Rocco Prestia, Larry Graham, James Jamerson,and Stanley Clarke and Ron Carter

Sep 4, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 10
The intermission in Sinfield
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back