bass output rivaling DT 770?!
Jan 24, 2004 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
I was listening to my DT 770 non-pro earlier and was wondering if there were any other cans out there that matched the 770s in terms of sheer bass output. They would still need to sound relatively good. The DT 770(to my ears) sound good.

Any contenders?

EDIT: Notice siggy....
basshead.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 17
There's nothing else at this level of bass. These things are teeth rattlers beyond all others.

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
There's nothing else at this level of bass. These things are teeth rattlers beyond all others.

Teeth? Nah! I've felt several parts of my body rattle though(NO! Not that part, you sicko!). Seriously, besides my head, I've had my arm rattle or more precisely twitch. HAH
basshead.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 17
I did run the Sony V6 from my RKV a while back. That was a really nice combo for the V6, but a total waste for the RKV. The bass intense RKV with its lush mids and rolled-off highs paired rather nicely with the RKV. Its bass was downright incredible, but a little loose for my tastes.

Jan 24, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 17
770 are too sterile to me, but 990 are GREAT phones with such a deep bass extension, but completely natural sounding
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 17
At a certain point, you might want to consider getting a subwoofer and running it along with your headphones. That way you could have as much bass as you want and still have a decent choice of headphones. Plus you'd get full-body thumping bass.

Jan 24, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
At a certain point, you might want to consider getting a subwoofer and running it along with your headphones. That way you could have as much bass as you want and still have a decent choice of headphones. Plus you'd get full-body thumping bass.

Eh, I'm more for the wonders that can be produced from cans. If I wanted a woofer(or 2) I'd go downstairs to my home theater that's running two 15 inch Adire(Brahmas I believe) subs. 7.2 surround...but technically it's only 7.1.

Jan 24, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 17
I think anyone who enjoys the DT770/DT770 PRO should definitely go out of their way to audition the DT990/DT990 PRO. Overall, I find the DT990 PRO sound similar to the DT770 PRO, with the exception that the DT990 PRO has a significantly larger soundstage. I do agree with Glassman's comment above.

NOTE: the following comments apply only to bona fide hardcore bass enthusiasts, LOL.

On topic, I recall reading an old report which credibly stated that replacing the DT770 PRO velour earpads (EDT770V) with soft PVC earpads (EDT330S) had the net effect of increasing bass output. IMO, this would be an interesting and worthwhile experiment for those who use the DT770 PRO as their primary phone.

Likewise, for recreating a club or "dance-hall" environment, it would be fun to experiment with the judicious use of a sub-harmonic synthesizer. Disadvantages would include the need for extra amplifier power, as well as the possibility of literally destroying the headphone's transducers if over-used. Other signal processors like the Aphex Model 204 and BBE Sonic Maximizer would also be good candidates for experimentation.

TravelLite

Jan 24, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 17
I can think of various cans with better bass quality and balance, but nothing with more bass quantity. Nothing even close (although I have never heard the DT990). The 770 has a built in bass boost in the form of a tuned cavity. It puts the bass up about 6 db over flat response in the range from 30 to 150hz. That is a huge amount of bass energy. Most cans stay flat down to 50, then start a second order rolloff.

Actually, to geeks point, the HD650 do seem to have an exagerated midbass, with a mild bump centered around 80 hz. Nothing close to the 770, and they are still weak in the deep bass, but not as much as the HD600. I am suspicious that Sen took out some of the damping, but I think it was electrical rather than mechanical. Still looking into that one. If so, an HD600 driven out of the 120 ohm spout of a Corda would sound pretty similar to an HD650 out of the 0 ohm tap. I can't check this right now, because the Corda moved to work, and I am NOT going in just to check out headphones
tongue.gif

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back