Bass on Audio Technica ATH M40x?
Jun 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

syn17

New Head-Fier
Hi, I listen to a lot of hip hop, etc. and I want to buy the ATH M40x's today, as they're on special for the next 5 hours (at the moment I have a terrible set of Logitech LS21 speakers so my standards are not incredibly high).

However, I've heard that the bass on them isn't as good as the M50x's. The M50x's will cost me a lot more money, and even if I go for the regular M50's I'll have to pay about 30-40 NZD more. 

Has anyone got a pair of ATH M40x's? How does hip hop, etc. sound on it and is the extra 30-40 NZD worth sacrificing the detachable cable for more pronounced bass?

Thanks

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 3
The M40x DO have pronounced bass, just a bit less than the M50x. They are a bit more even across the entire frequency range, too, and have greater HF extension with the caveat of overly hyped highs from 10 KHz onwards.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 3
M40X is truly an amazing headphone,it sounds similar to M AUDIO BX5 D2 with lesser soundstage,unlike the ATH M50X the bass is more neutral in M40X.I found it perfect for almost all type of songs from Eminem,Within Temptation,Lacuna Coil,Dropkick Murphys etc.You have to atleast use a soundcard to make it soundgreat i found it sound best when in high gain with Xonar U7 with Jriver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back